• In total there are 88 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 86 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

What FICTION book would you like to read as a group starting in March?

Authors are invited and encouraged to present their FICTION books solely within this forum.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

What FICTION book would you like to read as a group starting in March?

Unread post

Make suggestions here of FICTION books you'd like to read and discuss as a group during March, April and May of 2014.

Include the title, author name and a link to where we can read more about the book. Don't forget the link.

And you'll do your suggestion a service by including an explanation of why you're suggesting the book. A brief post that just names a book and links to it will have very little influence of the other members. Spend a few minutes and sell us on your suggestion. At least include a copied and pasted description or review. If you don't have the time or inclination to type a few sentences about your book we know you're not going to actually stick around and discuss it with us.

The Fiction Book Forum is a great place for visiting authors to share their books, however, this particular thread is for our ACTIVE and current members to discuss and select our next FICTION book for group discussion. Please do not make suggestions if you're a brand new member with less than 10 posts on our forums. From experience we know you're only here to promote your book. And that is totally acceptable in this FORUM but not in this THREAD.

After you leave your book suggestion PLEASE look at the other suggestions your fellow members have made. Tell us if you would consider reading and discussing the books they suggested. We need this feedback in order to know which books are of broad appeal. Any suggestions made that do not generate interest from other members will not be considered. After all, we cannot have a book "discussion" with only one person advocating a particular book.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Re: What FICTION book would you like to read as a group starting in March?

Unread post

Just to get the ball rolling with this fiction suggestion thread I'll make the first suggestion. Many people have been saying recently that they are big fans of the fantasy genre. It seems like the time might be right for us to read and talk about one of the many extremely popular novels in this genre. I'm going to suggest "A Game of Thrones: A Song of Ice and Fire: Book One" by George R.R. Martin. I'm personally a huge fan of the HBO "Game of Thrones" series and would love to see this book discussed here on BookTalk.org.

A Game of Thrones: A Song of Ice and Fire: Book One
by George R.R. Martin
Long ago, in a time forgotten, a preternatural event threw the seasons out of balance. In a land where summers can last decades and winters a lifetime, trouble is brewing. The cold is returning, and in the frozen wastes to the north of Winterfell, sinister and supernatural forces are massing beyond the kingdom’s protective Wall. At the center of the conflict lie the Starks of Winterfell, a family as harsh and unyielding as the land they were born to. Sweeping from a land of brutal cold to a distant summertime kingdom of epicurean plenty, here is a tale of lords and ladies, soldiers and sorcerers, assassins and bastards, who come together in a time of grim omens.

Here an enigmatic band of warriors bear swords of no human metal; a tribe of fierce wildlings carry men off into madness; a cruel young dragon prince barters his sister to win back his throne; and a determined woman undertakes the most treacherous of journeys. Amid plots and counterplots, tragedy and betrayal, victory and terror, the fate of the Starks, their allies, and their enemies hangs perilously in the balance, as each endeavors to win that deadliest of conflicts: the game of thrones.

BONUS: This edition contains an excerpt from George R.R. Martin's A Clash of Kings and a preview of A Game of Thrones: The Graphic Novel.
Attachments
GOTMTI2.jpg
GOTMTI2.jpg (45.85 KiB) Viewed 2641 times
click-the-image-for-19-more-george-r-r-martins-quotes-on-writing1.jpg
click-the-image-for-19-more-george-r-r-martins-quotes-on-writing1.jpg (132.64 KiB) Viewed 2641 times
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Unread post

I would go for "A Song of Ice and Fire: A Game of Thrones" though it has been some time since I read it (I have read all five published volumes), :shock: so I would have to go back and do some re-reading. :? Not that that is a bad thing. :wink:
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein
Crystalline
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

Unread post

OK, I'm willing to take a plunge into the fantasy genre and read/discuss
Game of Thrones: A Song of Ice andFire: Book One, if it's picked. It will be a reading adventure for me :)!

Wait...864 pages long??? WOW, it will take me three months to read :)!
Taylor

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Awesome

Unread post

A Song of Ice and Fire gets my vote, but then I might be insane,I read all 5 books in 32 days, I may be a
junkie for it, I've been twitching for a week now because the 6th book has as yet no release date.
I,m almost desperate for something to fill the void.
merch_abertawe
Official Newbie!

Unread post

THE BOOK THIEF BY MARKUS ZUSAK. blurb from waterstones website: HERE IS A SMALL FACT - YOU ARE GOING TO DIE. 1939. Nazi Germany. The country is holding its breath. Death has never been busier. Liesel, a nine-year-old girl, is living with a foster family on Himmel Street. Her parents have been taken away to a concentration camp. Liesel steals books. This is her story and the story of the inhabitants of her street when the bombs begin to fall. SOME IMPORTANT INFORMATION - THIS NOVEL IS NARRATED BY DEATH. It's a small story, about: a girl, an accordionist, some fanatical Germans, a Jewish fist fighter, and quite a lot of thievery. ANOTHER THING YOU SHOULD KNOW - DEATH WILL VISIT THE BOOK THIEF THREE TIMES. this may sound a bit depressing but I have downloaded the audiobook and it is brilliantly written, characters very believable and I find myself holding my breath as I am listening. am going to go out and buy the book so I can actually read it!!!
Crystalline
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

Unread post

I saw the movie of "The Book Thief". I'd be willing to read this book also. The book is usually better than the movie. I was in Germany during WWII before I came to the US after the war...many memories about those days in my book also: "Desire and Red Wine, A Life's Journey" by Victoria Norvaisa.
VMLM
Experienced

Unread post

I'm totally in for Song of Ice and Fire.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

My wife is about 10% into "The Book Thief" and she says she is a bit bored and probably not going to continue. That's just her opinion of course. The Book Thief has thousands of positive reviews.
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Unread post

How about a classic that changed the world? My daughter is reading Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe and says it is awesome, bringing the reader back to that horrendous time...

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book!”