• In total there are 45 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 45 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

My 1st book - THE HOMELESS HOSTEL by John Thompson

Authors are invited and encouraged to present their FICTION books solely within this forum.
spxlennox
Official Newbie!

My 1st book - THE HOMELESS HOSTEL by John Thompson

Unread post

Hello everyone,

I'd like to tell you about my 1st book that I have written - 'The Homeless Hostel' by me, the author John Thompson.
It is a subject close to my heart as I was homeless for 4 months in 2012.
The amount of help the English council gives you will depend on things like:
i.)if you became homeless through no fault of your own
ii.)if you’re eligible for assistance
iii)if you’re in priority need
The book has a slow beginning to emphasize the helplessness but quickly becomes funny with the comical characters.
It is on AMAZON and is going free on Kindle on 12th June 2014 ASIN: B00KTZYW78
I welcome any feedback good or bad.

John
andrefcasimiro
Official Newbie!

Re: My 1st book - THE HOMELESS HOSTEL by John Thompson

Unread post

Hey there, how you doing? Look, I'll be honest with you. Your topic needs to improve a lot. If we are talking about presenting a book for people to acquire and buy, you need to work more on its presentation.

First of all, ask yourself a question: if you were someone else and you happened to come across this topic, would you really be interested in checking out this book just from reading the description?

Here's what you should consider improving:

- Add some media. It could be a video, a cover of the book... a picture is worth a thousand words.
- Format your text. You should choose carefully where you want to highlight your words with the tools bold and italic.
- Add a headline to the topic with the name of the book and a small description explaining what your book is about. It's not easy to do this with only a few words, but remember that less is more. And you just want to give an idea of what your book is about, you don't need to be thorough, you only need to capture the reader's attention!
- Add a review of a friend or, even better, a editor or a person who can evaluate your book in an objective and sincere way. (Be creative, the trick here is to convince people to read your book. Do your best).

Finally, the best way to promote your book is by writing a great book. People who read your book will stick to it and pass the word! That's your best shot. But first, improve the presentation of your work. I understand it isn't much fun. But consider this: the book is written. The hardest job is already done. What could possibly stop you now from writing a great presentation? Nothing!

That's basically it. Good luck with your book! ;)
André Fernandes | Author, 19, Portuguese, Fan of Bukowski, Rimbaud & Whitman

Books published: At The Gates Of The Golden Sun (2014);

Instagram | Hello Poetry | Smashwords
spxlennox
Official Newbie!

Unread post

Hi,
Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I suppose presentation is a major key thing that I will look at.

:thanks2:
spxlennox
Official Newbie!

Unread post

Have reformatted my ebook.
Any more advice from anyone good or bad would be great.
Previous advice from André Fernandes BRILLIANT!
My book is on Amazon and Smashwords(what a great website) - self published.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00K ... entries*=0

or

https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/447488

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book!”