• In total there are 90 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 89 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

The Road Not Taken by R. Michele Freeman

Authors are invited and encouraged to present their FICTION books solely within this forum.
rmichelefreeman
Getting Comfortable

The Road Not Taken by R. Michele Freeman

Unread post

Hello Everyone,
I am a new author who has just published my first book. This new title has just hit Amazon this week. Check the sample below of The Road Not Taken by R. Michele Freeman. Happy Reading!
http://www.amazon.com/Road-Not-Taken-Mi ... +not+taken

~ Prologue ~
The sound of bare feet meeting the linoleum floor, startle me awake. I lay still in my bed, with my eyelids squeezed shut so tightly, I could feel the sting forming there. I have grown accustomed to frequent and yet failed attempts to wish away my demon. I hear my bedroom door creek. I cringe, pulling the covers closer to my face. Footsteps grow louder as the shadowy figure nears my bed. The covers are pried from my fingers and I try to swallow. The lump in my throat won’t let sound pass through. It is stuck, and I am stuck here. Fighting back proves useless. The grasp around my wrists grows tighter as I try to squirm free.
He leans in close, the skin of his face coming almost close enough to touch mine, cheek to cheek. The hot breath stinging my ear as he releases a harsh whisper, “you bet not ever tell no body, you hear me”. The words are spoken as a question and a demand all at once. I want to scream, but the fear in me tells me not to. Instead I look away- letting the tears moisten my pillow as I silently cry. In my head, I yell stop a thousand times before the lump in my throat dislodges enough for me to utter it out loud. He does not stop what he is doing; he does not stop hurting me, unmoved by my weak demand.
I manage to free my arms, and muster up the courage to fight back once again. My open palms become fists as I swing my arms as hard as I can, managing to land a blow to the face of my assailant causing him to move away. I was not sure how convincing I was, but it had gone on long enough, night after night, and year after year. I staggered to my feet. I stared down my demon, eye to eye, and I said the one word that would keep him from entering my bedroom ever again. In one word, I threatened to tell the world. In that one word, as small as I was, I put fear in him. With all the anger, the hatred, the pain inside me boiling over- the word came out in almost a snarl-“NOOOOO!” And right before I landed another blow, something woke me.
I sat up in my bed and looked around the room, struggling to catch my breath. The same nightmare had haunted me since I was eleven. But it was more than just a dream; it was a past that I would have to live with for the rest of my life. And even though the nightmares occur less frequently, diminishing with time, every now and again, something occurs that has me so anxious that it is stirring up my demons.
Attachments
JPEG Cover Image.jpg
JPEG Cover Image.jpg (103.45 KiB) Viewed 1436 times
R. Michele Freeman
Author of The Road Not Taken
rmichelefreeman
Getting Comfortable

Re: The Road Not Taken by R. Michele Freeman

Unread post

Paperback Edition just in this week!
R. Michele Freeman
rmichelefreeman
Getting Comfortable

Re: The Road Not Taken by R. Michele Freeman

Unread post

Finally took the plunge!! The Road Not Taken by R. Michele Freeman, Now on Kindle Unlimited.

My goal was to see how the book during the first month. I have a few sales, but with being a doctoral student, time for promoting the book is out of the question. The goal for this week, read 1 book that is not school related and that I am not currently writing.
R. Michele Freeman

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book!”