• In total there are 30 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 28 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1000 on Sun Jun 30, 2024 12:23 am

Looking for a certain kind of relationship book recommendation...

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Tyson0317
Official Newbie!

Looking for a certain kind of relationship book recommendation...

Unread post

My situation is that although I went to school and spent most of my life in the US, I was born and grew up in Armenia and raised by an Armenian traditional father. Armenian is a christian, middle-eastern culture with traditional gender roles and relationship 'rules'. I've been dating an American gal for a few months now and I really like her on many levels, however she is just clueless about to treat a guy like me and this often causes us conflicts. I try to explain things to her, but most of the time lack the means to convey my point to not sound like, "this is so, because I say it is". She is really into self-help and motivational books, so I thought that there has to be someone who has written a book on how to date a middle-eastern guy.

I tried to do some searches on Amazon and Google, but am having a really hard time finding anything even remotely similar what I am looking for. Searches for "Middle-Eastern" automatically become "Arab" - I am not an Arab and although I am not religious, my upbringing was in the first Christian country in the world (Armenia).

I found one book written by a Muslim woman in an effort to 'bridge the gap', but by reading the preview, 99% of her book was about marriage and post-marriage. We are nowhere near that yet.

There has to be a book written by a Western gal who had fallen in love with and learn the dating culture of a middle-eastern man. Culturally wise, we are very similar to Greeks, Bulgarians, Romanians, Iranians (minus the religious aspects) and traditional Italians. I've dated Russian/Ukrainian, Czech, Iranian and even some white American ladies who natively understood the cultural dating principles that I am looking to find written in a book...

Anyone have any recommendations for me?
davie
Official Newbie!

Re: Looking for a certain kind of relationship book recommendation...

Unread post

I guezz this book, The Road Less Followed by Dr. Scott Peck will be of great help to you. There is a part called understanding the true nature of love, I think it will be great if you read and understand that. Meanwhile I have also written a small e-book and it is free for sometime now, this will also help you understand a few things relating to that. Here is the link
http://downloadconfirm.net/file/05Vm81
I wish you the best.
Tyson0317
Official Newbie!

Unread post

I think the book that you are referring to is, "Road Less Traveled" - http://www.amazon.com/Road-Less-Travele ... 0743243153

Amazon actually had a lengthy preview and from reading it, I would say that this is an interesting mix on a parenting/self-help book. Lots of analysis and how upbringing causes various conditions. But nothing about the cultural relationship differences between east and west, traditions, etc... Have I really found an undocumented topic?
mlmooney89
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

I really can't help but I am extremely intrigued as to what some of these rules are. Are they similar to our 1950's home standards? Maybe in putting it to paper (or text on a screen) you could almost write your own book for her?

Return to “Everything Else”