• In total there are 96 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 94 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

Hockey Fights

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Hockey Fights

Unread post

This is funny. The fight plays through twice, but it is the start of the second clip (about halfway through the timeline) that is amusing!Georges LaraqueMr. P. Mr. P's place. I warned you!!!Mr. P's Bookshelf.I'm not saying it's usual for people to do those things but I(with the permission of God) have raised a dog from the dead and healed many people from all sorts of ailments. - AsanaThe one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.The pain in hell has two sides. The kind you can touch with your hand; the kind you can feel in your heart...Scorsese's "Mean Streets"I came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: Hockey Fights

Unread post

In my opinion they need to put an end to the fighting. In no other game do they allow players to beat the hell out of each other without jumping in to stop it. In ice hockey they pretty much endorse fighting and each team actually has an "enforcer," or a trained fighter that is there on the team especially because of his ability to fight.What about the kids sitting there in the stands watching this? What is the message to them? I just went to a Tampa Bay Lightning game on Friday and there was a fight right before took our seats (we were a bit late). Ice hockey is a rough sport and there is a good deal of necessary contact aka "checking" that can lead to some tempers an fists flying. But those players should be fined for fighting IMO, as this isn't an Ultimate Fighting Championship bout. Imagine bringing your 8 year old son to a game and him being exposed to the violence. This world is already nasty enough, but to endorse adults beating each other to a pulp is too much. Edited by: Chris OConnor  at: 12/9/06 12:58 am
Loricat
Laughs at Einstein

Unread post

Yeah, Mr. P...I see it. So casual, "so yah, like, let's fight now okay"I like hockey...really like it. But I find the fascination the public has with hockey fights to be rather sad. I was at the Canucks vs. Wild when Bertuzzi hit Steve Moore from behind and knocked him out so badly. Oh, the energy was bad that game, 'cause the Canucks' captain had been hit badly the game before...but the coaches never said to the team, "just go out there an play the game". The crowd was itching for a fight, payback, and they got it. A cheering roar, then gradual silence when people realized that Moore wasn't getting up. I was sitting next to a kid, and he said to me, "He deserved it!" No, kid. He didn't. The crowd was incredibly quiet when Moore was carried off the ice, and the referee was left on the ice, trying to scrape some of the blood away. Fighting on the ice is not part of the game. But it's an amusing video, despite my rant! "All beings are the owners of their deeds, the heirs to their deeds." Loricat's Book NookCelebrating the Absurd
Federika22

Hockey Fights

Unread post

I totally agree with you guys about hockey fights. I wouldn't take my kid to see that, (although I'm not big on the sport anyway). Every now and then I do catch myself watching a boxing match, and I attribute this to my father's love of the sport when I was a child. There is some sort of human interest in violence that I don't quite understand, and the sport of boxing allows us to watch in primal fascination as two people walk around in circles trying to beat the crap out of each other. I think this is pretty weird in you look at it from that perspective.
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Quote:each team actually has an "enforcer," or a trained fighter that is there on the team especially because of his ability to fightBut that role is actually going away what with the new rule changes. Many older guys with marginal skill and powerful punches are retiring. The gritty guys who cannot skate cannot compete anymore. Heck, even Jeremy Roenick and John LeClair is suffering and he has good skills, but just cannot cope with the speed of the new game. These guys were traditional "power forwards" which just aint cutting it like it used to.And honestly, with the entertainment choices in the US featuring overdoses of sex and violence...do ya really think hockey is all that bad? Mr. P. Mr. P's place. I warned you!!!Mr. P's Bookshelf.I'm not saying it's usual for people to do those things but I(with the permission of God) have raised a dog from the dead and healed many people from all sorts of ailments. - AsanaThe one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.The pain in hell has two sides. The kind you can touch with your hand; the kind you can feel in your heart...Scorsese's "Mean Streets"I came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy PiperEdited by: misterpessimistic  at: 12/9/06 10:35 am
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Quote:I was at the Canucks vs. Wild when Bertuzzi hit Steve Moore from behind and knocked him out so badly. I do not mind the fights, and as this clips shows, both these guys were into it and did it as a matter of fact. No anger at all towards each other. Fighters respect one another.The Bertuzzi thing was sheer anger and a cheap shot. There is a difference.Fighting is indeed part of the game, has been since the beginning, like it or not. Now, whether it should STAY a part...I would prefer it out, but as I said, I do not mind either way. Mr. P's place. I warned you!!!Mr. P's Bookshelf.I'm not saying it's usual for people to do those things but I(with the permission of God) have raised a dog from the dead and healed many people from all sorts of ailments. - AsanaThe one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.The pain in hell has two sides. The kind you can touch with your hand; the kind you can feel in your heart...Scorsese's "Mean Streets"I came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Nah, it isn't that bad when you compare it to everything else we see out there. And I do enjoy watching hockey games. I actually played on an ice hockey team when I was a kid.
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

I miss playing hockey. I snapped my ACL and have not played since.One day I will get the operation and resume my 'career'. Mr. P. Mr. P's place. I warned you!!!Mr. P's Bookshelf.I'm not saying it's usual for people to do those things but I(with the permission of God) have raised a dog from the dead and healed many people from all sorts of ailments. - AsanaThe one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.The pain in hell has two sides. The kind you can touch with your hand; the kind you can feel in your heart...Scorsese's "Mean Streets"I came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper
Saint Gasoline

Unread post

I think they should do away with hockey fights simply because they are annoying to anyone who has ever watched a real fight.I'm a fan of mixed martial artists like Fedor Emelianenko, Chuck Liddell, Anderson Silva, and George St. Pierre. Seeing hockey fights after you've watched these guys in the ring is like watching toddlers wildly fling their toys at each other.
Loricat
Laughs at Einstein

Unread post

Quote:Seeing hockey fights after you've watched these guys in the ring is like watching toddlers wildly fling their toys at each other. Thanks. Great image.I really enjoy watching hockey. Prefer it when I can watch it live, or in a pub surrounded by fans (and a pint o' beer in me hand!)...but I enjoy it. (I'm a good Canadian girl..."Why do Canadians make love doggie style?" "So they can both watch the hockey game!")But, yeah, leave the fights out. "All beings are the owners of their deeds, the heirs to their deeds." Loricat's Book NookCelebrating the Absurd

Return to “Everything Else”