• In total there are 7 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 7 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

2037, a year that will live in history.

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
OpanaPointer
Permanent Ink Finger

2037, a year that will live in history.

Unread post

I'm an inveterate WWII student. I started Pearl Harbor Resources and helped start Hyperwar to provide access to materials related to WWII. The hundredth anniversary of the start of WWII is 14 years from now. (And yes, some people will disagree on that. which is fine.) While I'm still pre-dirty nap I plan to continue digitizing and cleaning up documents from that war. Let the games begin.
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Re: 2037, a year that will live in history.

Unread post

:welcome:
- Hitler invaded Poland on 9/1/1939. Great Britain and France declared war on Germany on 9/3/1939. So from everything I've read, WWII started on 9/3/1939. How do you come up with 1937 ?
- What are "Pearl Harbor Resources" and "Hyperwar"? It's OK to include links here. However it certainly does not appear there is any shortage of "materials related to WWII."
- I'm afraid to ask what "I'm still pre-dirty nap" means. Get drunk & stoned, have sex, then take a nap? :up:
OpanaPointer
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

Major Combatants: Japan and China were at war in 1937. I won't challenge Eurocentrism, it's easy forget things not so close to home.
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
United States of America

Unread post

OK so you think what's called the "Second Sino-Japanese War" was the start of WWII. China hired the US Flying Tigers headed by Claire Lee Chennault to fight the Japanese. Perhaps you have a point, hadn't thought of it that way.
OpanaPointer
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

LanDroid wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:03 pm OK so you think what's called the "Second Sino-Japanese War" was the start of WWII. China hired the US Flying Tigers headed by Claire Lee Chennault to fight the Japanese. Perhaps you have a point, hadn't thought of it that way.
I have digitized many of the Japanese Monographs, including those discussing their war in China. To me it was a full blown war. I don't request and require anyone to agree with me on anything. Cheers.
OpanaPointer
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

LanDroid wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:01 pm :welcome:
- Hitler invaded Poland on 9/1/1939. Great Britain and France declared war on Germany on 9/3/1939. So from everything I've read, WWII started on 9/3/1939. How do you come up with 1937 ?
- What are "Pearl Harbor Resources" and "Hyperwar"? It's OK to include links here. However it certainly does not appear there is any shortage of "materials related to WWII."
- I'm afraid to ask what "I'm still pre-dirty nap" means. Get drunk & stoned, have sex, then take a nap? :up:
I know, I contribute a fair bit since 1989. ibiblio.org/hyperwar, ibilio.org/pha, to name two sites UNC houses for us.

And that should have been "dirt", not "dirty". I'm using a keyboard that follows my eye movements to type. Developing for paraplegics, like Stephen Hawking. Still a way to go before large scale testing. The Cyrillic is driving the engineer bonkers.
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
United States of America

Unread post

OK I gather "pre-dirt nap" means we're still alive. :up:

The two links you posted didn't seem to work quite right, so here they are:
https://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/
https://www.ibiblio.org/pha/
OpanaPointer
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

LanDroid wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:51 pm OK I gather "pre-dirt nap" means we're still alive. :up:
I'll be 73 in a few days, so waking up always surprises me these days.
The two links you posted didn't seem to work quite right, so here they are:
https://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/
https://www.ibiblio.org/pha/
Thanks. This keyboard is a little wonky with links.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

It's really crazy to think we are approaching the 100-year anniversary of the start of World War II. I was born in 1968, but somehow World War II doesn't seem that long ago. I do like to learn as much as possible about that war and of course, the Vietnam War, since my father served over there for quite a while. But I readily admit that I am just a layperson, or novice when it comes to this stuff. I watch movies and have read some books, and jump on any series that hits TV, like Pacific or Band of Brothers.

By the way, I'm really enjoying your contributions here on the forum, OpanaPointer. To think that you can communicate so well, with such limitations, is impressive as hell. Thank you so much for joining the community, and helping to make us an even better forum.
OpanaPointer
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

Chris OConnor wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:30 pm It's really crazy to think we are approaching the 100-year anniversary of the start of World War II. I was born in 1968, but somehow World War II doesn't seem that long ago. I do like to learn as much as possible about that war and of course, the Vietnam War, since my father served over there for quite a while. But I readily admit that I am just a layperson, or novice when it comes to this stuff. I watch movies and have read some books, and jump on any series that hits TV, like Pacific or Band of Brothers.

By the way, I'm really enjoying your contributions here on the forum, OpanaPointer. To think that you can communicate so well, with such limitations, is impressive as hell. Thank you so much for joining the community, and helping to make us an even better forum.
I been worse. :roll: Cheers, and don't do anybody I wouldn't. (It's a short list.)

Return to “Current Events & History”