• In total there are 40 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 40 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

God Is Dead: a possible fiction suggestion

Authors are invited and encouraged to present their FICTION books solely within this forum.
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

God Is Dead: a possible fiction suggestion

Unread post

Since there have been hints that Chris might revive the fiction reading component of BookTalk, I thought I'd go ahead and make a note of this novel as a possible suggestion, so that I don't forget later on.

God Is Dead, by Ron Currie, Jr.
[quote]Editorial Reviews
From Publishers Weekly
A bleak dystopian future is tempered with moments of possibility in story writer Currie's debut novel, in which a sick and wounded Dinka woman arrives at a refugee camp in Darfur, searching for her lost brother. The woman is God, come to Earth in human form to make apologies to the Sudanese, over whose fate He is, "due to an implacable polytheistic bureaucracy, completely powerless." When God is gunned down, news of His death spreads quickly around the globe and provides the jumping-off point for the subsequent short story
irishrose

1E - BANNED
Freshman

Unread post

Mad, you would read The Believer.

I would participate in a fiction forum, and am not opposed to reading God is Dead.
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Unread post

irishrose wrote:Mad, you would read The Believer.

I would participate in a fiction forum, and am not opposed to reading God is Dead.
I second that.

Mr. P.
When you refuse to learn, you become a disease.
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Unread post

I don't read Believer with any regularity. I've picked it up to read specific articles, though. Recently, for example, Nick Hornsby interviewed David Simon, who created "The Wire" and the wrote the book "Homocide: Life on the Streets" was based on. How could I not read that?
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Just recvd this book today from the library.

Mr. P.
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Unread post

Can we hold off for a little while? I've just started reading "The Brothers Karamazov", and with adding one, maybe two BookTalk discussion books this month, my reading schedule is already pretty tied up. Maybe even if we just hold off until December?

Chris, any interest in making this the triumphant return of a quarterly fiction reading?
If this rule were always observed; if no man allowed any pursuit whatsoever to interfere with the tranquility of his domestic affections, Greece had not been enslaved, Caesar would have spared his country, America would have been discovered more gradually, and the empires of Mexico and Peru had not been destroyed. -- Mary Shelley, "Frankenstein; or The Modern Prometheus"
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Maybe I will start reading and making some notes. It is a library loan and even though I was able to extend the borrow until 11/24, I should not push it and extend it again.

If need be, I can always request it again once you start.

Mr. P.
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Finished chapter 1 and I am not impressed so far. I will try to read at least half the book before I give up though.

I am not overly fond of using real life characters in fiction, and Currie's use of Colin Powell seems a bit indulgent to me and turned me off. I do appreciate how impotent he has made god seem thus far, but that too seems a bit simplistic.

Not grabbing me so far.

Mr. P.
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Yeah...I have read the first three stories and will not be finishing the book. Does not grab my attention at all. Some nice little stories, but I guess the premise does not really grab me...and if you do not buy the premise, the stories do not impact as much as they might.

Mr. P.
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Unread post

Well, thanks for taking one for the team, Mr. P. If you're not impressed, then maybe we should consider reading something other than "God Is Dead". I hope that doesn't come off as sarcasm.

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book!”