• In total there are 94 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 92 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

Well hey there guys

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Bananafish
Getting Comfortable

Well hey there guys

Unread post

Hey. My name is Dutch and I am brand-spanking new here and saw the Introduce Yourself feature and said, why not?

I am a 21 year old student living at home. I'm actually pretty glad to know this website exists- I read a ton and don't always have people to discuss books with. I'm a lit major and do some writing of my own, mostly short stories.

I guess that's all. Some of my favorite authors: hemingway, steinbeck, faulkner, hunter thompson, dave eggers, kurt vonnegut, ts eliot

Oh oh oh, also, I'm going to start a topic in a different section regarding the books Angela's Ashes and Reading in the Dark. I'm writing a paper and could use a good discussion about the books to get the ol' creative juices flowin. The paper is sort of comparing/contrasting the narrative styles, structures and subject matter, so if anyone has anything to say about those books or Frank McCourt and Seamus Deane in general, come on over.
jales4
Intern

Unread post

Hi Dutch,

Welcome!! It has been years since I read Angela's Ashes, but it was such a great book, I'd enjoy discussing it.

I'll look for your thread.

Jan.
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Unread post

Hiya, Bananafish. Given your s/n, I'm surprised you didn't list Salinger as one of your favorite authors. Still, it's always nice to have someone with an interest in the heavyweights of American literature join the fray. Hope to see you around.
BookGirl

1E - BANNED
Official Newbie!

I'm new too...

Unread post

Hello, My name is Stephanie I am new too! It's kinda exciting to see how many people actually want to talk about books~I love em'! I am currently working for a book company and buy way to many books to read, I have stacks. Mckenziebooks.com is the online store but good for me my company is a book buying business as well! That business is called Cash4books.net. They buy my books back when I'm done. You should try it since you have tons of books too! lol!
linz

1E - BANNED
Official Newbie!

hi

Unread post

Yet another new member here. My name is Linz, and I am a recent Literature graduate. This is my first semester in the real world (I'm still measuring time by semesters), and I desperately miss literary discussions and thought. I went searching for a site such as this to challenge and stretch my mind. I miss exercising my writing and thinking skills the way I did when I was in school. Dutch, enjoy every minute while you're in class and soak up every experience.
I was excited to find this forum and now I'm thrilled to get started. I love classic literature, and I've kind of set a goal to have a strong foundation in the classics before I move to more modern works. However, I must admit that I often stray. In fact, I just finished A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Eggers. Now I'm back to Woolf and To the Lighthouse. I love and appreciate it all.
Bananafish
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

hey thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

yes, Salinger is one of my favorites, but i figured anyone that got my bananafish reference would know this. I've read his entire collection (of published anyway, i know he has a lottttt of short stories floating around) and i love everything involving the Glass family. The hardest one to get through was Seymour an Introduction, but at that point i had known so much about Seymour and the entire family that i was so drawn to his meticulous description.
favorite story- for esme with love and squalor.

and linz, thanks for the advice. at the moment i just cant appreciate my classes though. my lit classes are really lackluster, it's almost depressing.

And although i havent read too too much woolf, i am always proud of dalloway for buying those roses herself.

if anyone wants to email me or IM, im pretty sure ive included all that information in my profile. I'm pretty much always up for a chat.
irishrose

1E - BANNED
Freshman

Unread post

Bananafish wrote:...i am always proud of dalloway for buying those roses herself.
Very cute, Bananafish. You'll be prouder yet to see Lily decide to move the tree to the middle of the painting, when you read To the Lighthouse.

Lintz, I'm a fan of To the Lighthouse, and most of Woolf. Actually, I should probably say I was a fan of hers. I haven't read any Woolf for over six years now. But, though I haven't given it much thought of late, TtL still remains one of my favorites.

Banana, your intro page has seemed to become a gathering place for recent new members. So, welcome aboard everyone, hope to see you around.

Return to “Everything Else”