• In total there are 38 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 38 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1000 on Sun Jun 30, 2024 12:23 am

Meet and greet chat night

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
irishrose

1E - BANNED
Freshman

Meet and greet chat night

Unread post

Noticing that we have quite a few new regular members hanging about, I thought it might be nice to schedule a chat night, so some of the older members and the newer ones could meet in an informal setting.

I'm thinking of Thursday, December 27. It gives those of us who celebrate Christmas some time to decompress, and it's soon enough before the New Year to not interfere with any weekend-type celebrations. I know it seems weird to throw a chat into the week between Christmas and New Year's, but it would be nice to wish each other well before the year ended
Ophelia

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Oddly Attracted to Books

Unread post

Yes, I am interested-- even better if someone finds the time to tell me how such things work as I have never taken part in any chats.

I have no preferences for dates or generally time, though of course early morning would be difficult. Oh dear, so computers can't solve everything!
(Also I would be worried about getting my maths correct about what time to get up-- that's what happens when you haven't done any long distance travelling for a long time, things are no longer a habit).
Ophelia.
irishrose

1E - BANNED
Freshman

Unread post

Evelyne wrote:Yes, I am interested-- even better if someone finds the time to tell me how such things work as I have never taken part in any chats.
Glad to see you're interested, Evelyne. Working the chat room is easy. It's the only chat room I've ever used and it was no trouble. When you're logged on, you just click the "booktalk Chat" image that you see along the left of your screen. Once inside, there's a line to type on. You hit enter, and whatever you write appears on a screen that everyone can see. The hardest thing for me is to remember to keep my sentences concise. I have to constantly remind myself: "It's a chat, Rosemary, not a dissertation."

As for time zones, I'm almost certain U.S. eastern is five hours behind the Brits, so that would probably make us six hours behind France. In which case, if we were to hold the chat at 9PM, that would be 3AM for you. Hardly do-able, I'd imagine. We'll have to see what kind of interest we get and then decide what time accommodates.

Speaking of interest, where's everyone else? I can see you all reading it. If the 27th doesn't work, start suggesting some different dates.
Ophelia

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Oddly Attracted to Books

Unread post

Thanks for the explanation.

Go with the flow of what others tell you. If it's 3 a.m, I'll try to make it, but if I don't, you'll know why.
Ophelia.
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Unread post

I'll definitely try to attend.
George Ricker

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Junior

Unread post

I'll try to attend as well. My schedule is pretty flexible. Whatever time everyone agrees on should be doable for me. 8)

George
George Ricker

"Nothing about atheism prevents me from thinking about any idea. It is the very epitome of freethought. Atheism imposes no dogma and seeks no power over others."

mere atheism: no gods
FannieB
Getting Comfortable

count me in

Unread post

I'd love to participate in a chat...9 pm works for me, although a couple hours earlier would be fine too. I'll be there as long as I'm not dragging into yet another family festivity! lol

FannieB
"I cannot live without books." ---Thomas Jefferson
irishrose

1E - BANNED
Freshman

Unread post

Oh good, glad to see there's interest. Fannie has mentioned that she could arrive earlier than 9. I'm wondering if it would be possible to schedule something closer to 6 or 7 PM EST, which would mean 12 or 1 AM for Ophelia. I think that would be much better than 3 AM. That might also work out better for Niall, if he happens to join in.

Now I know that's normally the dinner hour for those of us coming home to families. Also, that might encroach on the work day if anybody from central or west U.S. was thinking of joining in. So if that doesn't work, let me know. I'm just trying to feel out a time that is most convenient for everyone.
lemme think
Master Debater

Unread post

I will try to make it to the chat -- right now that appears to be a good day in my schedule, I should be able to be flexible with whatever time is agreed upon!
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Unread post

Yes rose...I have been following this thread and will try to make it. I just did not want to commit.

:P
When you refuse to learn, you become a disease.

Return to “Everything Else”