• In total there are 111 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 110 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Kenneth
Eligible to vote in book polls!

Unread post

Hello everybody. I'm Kenneth. I've always enjoyed discussing books. Last year I became involved with the Constant Reader group which seems to have disappeared. Some years ago I enjoyed discussions at Salon. com (before it became a pay site and participation fizzled). I'm 61, married since 1972, a resident of Savannah for less than 3 years (originally a Boston guy and of course the Cape) and I'm pretty much retired, although my wife and I work hard producing pottery and clay sculpture for galleries and area art/craft festivals.

Not widely traveled but have been to Greece 3 times since 2002, most recently in May-June 2007 for 5 weeks. I love quality fiction and have been known to go on literary binges that involve a particular author or a particular subject. Since 9/11 I've read a lot of non-fiction regarding the middle-east, most recently Steve Coll's "Ghost Wars" and Amhed Rasheed's "The Taliban."

The best novels recently consumed have been "The Known World" by Edward Jones and Newton Thornburg's "Cutter and Bone." Thanks for the warm welcome and, of course, for spell-check.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Kenneth

Welcome to the community! :) I'm not familiar with the Constant Reader book discussion group, but I do know of Salon.com. And we'll never become a pay site. This I promise.

Where in Greece do you visit? And are you Greek yourself? From what I've heard there is a significant Greek population in Boston. My wife is Greek and her family is from Boston.

My wife and I went to Greece in August of 2005 and had an incredible time. Obviously, we flew into Athens and had to spend some time there visiting the sites. Our hotel was on Athenas Street (if I spelled that correctly) and we had a clear view of the Acropolis from our rooftop bar. After Athens to flew out to Santorini and spent several days in various cities there. Santorini is beautiful - beyond words.

Where did you go? What led you there?
Please consider supporting BookTalk.org by donating today!
Kenneth

greece

Unread post

Well Chris, my wife and I were originally drawn to Greece in 2002 when our daughter and boyfriend rented a place on the island of Alonissos in the northern Aegean. It's in the Sporades Island group. It was a 2 week vacation and we were hooked. Beyond the beauty, the mountains, sky, beaches............ well it's late and I'd love to talk with you about Greece and the Greeks. For now let me just say that Greece is a state of mind. You know it and feel it when you get there. As I mentioned we've been fortunate to have had 3 terrific vacations there. I'd love to go back but the weak dollar makes it a fantasy. Tell me about your own Greek vacation.
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Re: greece

Unread post

Kenneth wrote:Well Chris, my wife and I were originally drawn to Greece in 2002 when our daughter and boyfriend rented a place on the island of Alonissos in the northern Aegean. It's in the Sporades Island group. It was a 2 week vacation and we were hooked. Beyond the beauty, the mountains, sky, beaches............ well it's late and I'd love to talk with you about Greece and the Greeks. For now let me just say that Greece is a state of mind. You know it and feel it when you get there. As I mentioned we've been fortunate to have had 3 terrific vacations there. I'd love to go back but the weak dollar makes it a fantasy. Tell me about your own Greek vacation.
Welcome Kenneth! Hope to see you around the forums.

Mr. P.
Kenneth

Unread post

thanks Mr. P.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

We had such a good time. Last night my wife and I were watching a video on the Greek Islands and dreaming together about another trip. Yes, it is a state of mind.

Everything is more relaxed in Greece, but I suppose this is how it is throughout most of Europe. People that have never left the United States don't realize that most of the world actually stops to smell the flowers every day. Here, in the United States, it's very easy to get caught up in what you think is important business. But in the end what really matters is all that stuff we tend to fly by at a zillion miles per hour.

I loved the outdoor cafes. Every restaurant in Athens had a small handful of tables inside and then a huge cluster outside. And nobody wants to sit inside. People watching is fun. We sat at many restaurants in the outdoor seating area and leisurely enjoyed our meals and a few glasses of wine.

But the food is NOT as good as it is in the United States. Not even remotely close. My wife and I were stunned by this. Even the Greek restaurants here in the states are better. The coffee is nasty too. LOL I hate to say anything negative because it might give the impression that my overall impression of Greece was negative, and nothing could be further from the truth. When you are in a different country there will always be things you like and things you don't like. We happened to be amazed at how good we have it in the USA with regards to food, shelter, health care, transportation, etc... But on the other hand, for some reason, everyone seems happier over there. People are smiling and talking to each other. You don't see rude people rushing from here to there with their cell phones glued to their ears. But cell phones do work well there! Even on Santorini we had 5 bars!
Last edited by Chris OConnor on Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please consider supporting BookTalk.org by donating today!
Willow
Official Newbie!

Unread post

Hi All!!
The "newbie" subject line caught my eye and I figured it was a good place for me to start. (& talk of books, travel and food cemented it! LOL) I, like Kenneth, was a member of another online forum that was there one day and gone the next. I did not expect to miss it as much as I have.

A little about myself...I live in Alaska, am married and work as an office manager. I love to read during the winter and spend as much time as I can outside during the summer fishing, hiking and garderning. I would claim camping, but that depends on if you think sleeping in the motorhome is camping...lol...

I like to read almost everything. One of the reasons I am back on a forum is to discover the books I would walk past in the book store. I was introduced to some wonder authors that I would have never picked out other wise.

Any whoo...look forward to some great discussions! :)
Ophelia

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Oddly Attracted to Books

Unread post

Hello Willow, I'm delighted to meet you. :)

You've come to the right place, so just make yourself at home.

If you're interested in fiction, we have just begun a discussion of No Country for Old Men, by Cormac McCarthy.

I look forward to discussions with you.
Ophelia.
Marilyn
Getting Comfortable

Great current fiction.

Unread post

Hi Kenneth,

I just read your post and thought perhaps we might read some of the same sort of books? Or at least show interest in reading along adjacent paths.

I, too, am retired--from a thrity year career as a high school teacher--and I, too, have developed a second interest in the arts--only metal arts focusing on silver jewelry.

But back to the books discussion. Although I have not read either of the fiction titles you mentioned, I recently have read several excellent fiction books. So just curious--are you familiar with any of the following: "The Gathering" by Ann Enright, "Out Stealing Horses" by Per Petterson, "The Reserve" by Russell Bnaks or "His Illegal Self" by Peter Carey? I found all of these books very well written, worthwhile and I highly recommend them. If not too much time intervenes, I would enjoy discussing any of the above with other readers. Unfortunately for me, I seem to read books that are discussed months or years prior to the discussions--that means a second read for me which is ok, but usually I have other books begging for my attention.

Marilyn
Kenneth

Unread post

Well I am delighted by all the neat responses to my simple intro. thanks to Ophelia for suggesting I introduce myself in the first place.

Chris: Food in Greek restaurants it definitely hit or miss. (I can't agree with you about food in the USA, assuming we're talking about eating out. Maybe if you live in Manhattan and are independently wealthy....... otherwise I am nearly always disappointed and find that the only solution is to purchase good ingredients and learn to cook). I hope no Greeks are reading this because I know how proud they are. But the best meal in Greece is very often the simple gyro-- 1.5 Euros and you're done for the evening. During our latest trip we enjoyed a lot of grilled squid with lots of garlic and olive oil (order it with Giant Beans). If you find a really good dish in a really neat place-- go there for the rest of your stay! I will agree that in the states we have eateries of every possible ethnicity. In Greece every restaurant is Greek and menus are nearly identical. Imagine that on the American main drag.

Willow--welcome! I can see how Alaska winters would be conducive to reading. Tell us about some of your travel and culinary experiences because my wife and I are desperately looking for a warm getaway that is affordable (now that Europe is so pricey).

Marilyn-- Thank you for jumping into this thread. I have not read any of the books you mention but I appreciate the tips. I have read some early Russell Banks. I'll jot down the titles you suggested because I find it very helpful to walk into the library with a list. Feel free to contact me privately if you'd like to talk a bout a book that is not being discussed on book talk.

I highly recommend "Bastard of Istanbul" by Elif Shafak. Modern day Turkey (Muslim women who are modern, secular and proud of it-- who gather monthly to melt wax on the stove for what?-- body hair removal, a tortuous ordeal!). Lots of humor, lots of torment. A great portrait of a great city along with disturbing history (the Armenian genocide in the early 20th century). I look forward to discussions with you.
http://www.amazon.com/Bastard-Istanbul- ... 738&sr=1-1

Return to “Everything Else”