• In total there are 55 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 53 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

amazon kindle

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Ophelia

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Oddly Attracted to Books

amazon kindle

Unread post

Someone asked about amazon kindle, but I can't remember on which thread.

Here is a discussion from Shelfari about it:

"I'd like one (for several reasons, which I'll ge tto in a minute), but I'll probably wait a while while they come up with improvemtns to the first generation Kindle. Color would be nice, for example.

I've seen one and tried it. I didn't like it. My major complaint is that there is not a really good way to hold it with accidently hitting a button.

Other than that, how was the reading experience? Was the format bothersome, or did it sort of fade into the background?

The button placement issue is one reason i want to wait for an upgrade.

|
. Reading was pretty good actually. I was able to read from several different viewing angles. The display overall is very nice. But again, the button placements along the edges of the device makes it difficult to hold.

I saw one, I personally think they cost to much to buy at this time . Plus I do not like to buy books . I get 90% of the books I read from the Libary . Now if I could check out book for a Libary.and have the book on the thing for lets say 30 days . I would more likly to buy it .

Major libraries are already doing this, robert! The New york public Library, Denver public Library and the DeKalb County library (Atlanta) to name a few.

I don't have one, but I have an e-bookwise. It's the same size, and the features are better. I read about the Kindle in a techy mag while I was recovering from a car accident in the hospital. The conception is great, however Amazon's creator, can't think of his name, plan is that once a book is purchased it will be deleted from your library after a certain period of time. In my humble opinion I don't think that is fair. An ebookwise costs 149.00, can hold up to 20 books at a time, depending on the size. It has a 20 hour battery life, is rechargeable, has a back light so you can read in the dark. The books you purchase stay on your online bookshelf so even if you delete a book from the device you can still download it again. You can also download personal documents with the ebookwise online conversion tool for free. So, lets say an author sends you a copy of a book for free as long as it is sent in HTML format you can convert it and download it.
I have had my device for a couple of years now and I love it. It's easy to use, and great for trips. I can take 3-4 books with me in one instead of carting several books. Just go to http://www.ebookwise.com and check it out.

I didn't know that a once purchased book will be deleted from your library after a certain amount of time. I also never heard of the e-bookwise. These are all good things to know.

Amazon is NOT deleting bought and paid for items from your Media Library after 30 days or any other amount of time. it will probably store them there forever, if you so desire, so that you can DL it again and again (to the registered Kindle), in case you have deleted it in order to make room for something else.

Just to clarify.

Thanks Aimeesue. My cousin loves her Kindle. I was kind of thinking along the same lines as others above---maybe wait for the next generation--get all the bugs out, maybe come in colors, drop in price, etc. I know I have LOTS of actual books sitting on my bookshelves right now to keep me busy until then. :-)

I don't know if they actually worked the deleting system into the Kindle. I do know that that was the original plan and it was written about in the tech magazine I was reading. This is a great discussion - it helps people know what is out there and available. : )

thanks for this post - I've been looking into this for travelling (5 books in a suitcase can cause you to pay the over weight charge : ( ). I read they used a certain type of backlight to avoid eye strain. Is that so? Sony also has a similar model. Does anyone know about the comparison between them?
http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page
has 20,000 free downloadable books - could you use this site in conjunction with the kindle?

"
Ophelia.
ABookADay
Master Debater

Unread post

I got a picture of one of these for christmas, still havent seen the actual thing though.

Return to “Everything Else”