• In total there are 52 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 51 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

William - Hello everyone

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
wmmurrah

William - Hello everyone

Unread post

Hello everyone. I have just joined(or at least I attempted to do so) and am looking forward to meeting the members as well as reading some of the posts. I am an atheist and a bibliophile I am currently reading Pascal Boyer's "Religion Explained" but will look into picking up a copy of Bloom's book. However, my first goal is to become familiar with the format of this forum. Edited by: Chris OConnor  at: 3/17/03 2:46:25 am
kru5h

Re: Hello everyone

Unread post

Welcome to Booktalk!I am fairly new here also, but I have had many great experiences here already. I hope that you enjoy your stay here and feel free to post often, invite friends, and join us in our Thursday night chats.I just bought the book "Religion Explained" by Pascal Boyer but I may not get around to reading it any time soon because I currently have 3 other books that I'm reading: "Atheism: The Case Against God" by George Smith (1/2 way done), "Three Roads to Quantum Gravity" by Lee Smolin (at the very beginning still), and "Chaos: Making a New Science" by James Gleick (about 4/5 done). The chaos book is a little older but still teaches the basics of chaos.Enjoy! -Kyle Rush,A Candle for the Blind
wmmurrah

Unread post

Thanks for the warm welcome Kyle."Atheism:The Case Aganist God" is one of my favorite books. Very well written. I look forward to your comments on this book.
NaddiaAoC

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Wearing Out Library Card

Unread post

Hello Wmmurrah! Welcome to BookTalk. I've been reading Atheism: The Case Against God as well. I look forward to hearing your thoughts on it. Where are you from?Cheryl
wmmurrah

re: Hello everyone

Unread post

I currently live in Charlottesville Va. I just moved here a few months ago from Alabama. How about You?
Kenny Meek

Charlottesville

Unread post

My mother and sister were both born there and I lived there briefly and spent much time there as a child. Great town!
NaddiaAoC

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Wearing Out Library Card

Re: Charlottesville

Unread post

Wmmurrah,Wow. So you've had a nice taste of the Bible belt, eh? I live in Northern Kentucky, just south of Cincinnati.Cheryl
Kenny Meek

What part of Alabama?

Unread post

My dad is from Decatur...Mom & Dad met in Florence...
wmmurrah

Re: What part of Alabama?

Unread post

Well, It is a small world. I lived in Birmingham but grew up in a small town called Clanton. And yes I have had a good taste of the Bible Belt. I believe Alabama is the only state in the Union that is required to place a disclaimer in biology books stating it is "only a theory." It is very sad. But my childhood was not so bad. My mother is also an atheist, although I still do not think she would not use that word to describe herself. My stepfather is what I call a default methodist. By that I mean he goes to church because that is what good people do. I have a younger brother who is also an atheist.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: What part of Alabama?

Unread post

WilliamWelcome! I hope you find what you're looking for here at BookTalk. It would be interesting to hear how your childhood went with an atheist mother and a Methodist father. It sounds like your father wasn't very strict though, so maybe that helped.Have you voted on the March/April book yet? The poll will come down tonight....so maybe a few more hours left. I look forward to your input here and also to see you in the chat room when you find time. Chris

Return to “Everything Else”