• In total there are 23 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 21 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

Lilith about making choices

Authors are invited and encouraged to present their FICTION books solely within this forum.
Ophelia

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Oddly Attracted to Books

Unread post

Lilith wrote:

I find it interesting that most people suggest books thay have already read. I'd rather find something new so that I can learn about and explore a new book, rather than re-hash one I have alredy experienced. I do not mean to be critical, it's just an observation.

I'm not surprised that people should suggest a book they've read, as opposed to a book they've read about, for a group read.

Most of the time, we (in many reading groups) end up reading a book other members suggested, so there are many opportunities to try something new.
If I heard about a new book that I think might be a good suggestion for a group read, I would read it first-- I wouldn't want the book to be chosen and then discover that it's poorly written or I don't feel like reading it to the end! :smile:
Ophelia.
Lilith
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

You raise a very valid point, Ophelia. There is nothing worse than feeling you are "stuck" reading a poorly written or uninteresting book. And no one wants to be the person everyone else points at and says "But it was her idea!"

But isn't making bad choices just part of life? Haven't you ever spent good money on a movie only to walk out or sit squirming in your seat until it's finally over? And that based on a rave recommendations from a respected friend? Or gone to a new restaurant getting rave reviews only to be completely disappointed in the food?

Although I have much less experience with book clubs than most on this forum (or so it seems from the comments), I do find that even discussing why I don't like a book generates some worthwhile comments. Maybe the writing style was supposed to evoke some feeling or atmosphere and just failed. Maybe the author was trying to take the reader in a certain direction and failed - what was that direction and why did the author fail? Do we have to read between the lines to get the point of the storyline? And so on . . . .

That said, I much prefer to read a good, well-written book and in that case, having some prior knowledge as to writing style and plot does certainly help. I appreciate you sharing your perspective.

As far as the selection, although I am not generally a short story reader and said I would stay out of the decision based on my lack of knowledge, I did just reserve Best American Short Stories of 2007 at my local library. After looking at both suggestions, that one interests me the most, FWIW.

Lilith
I'll try to be nicer if you try to be smarter . . .
Ophelia

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Oddly Attracted to Books

Unread post

But isn't making bad choices just part of life? Haven't you ever spent good money on a movie only to walk out or sit squirming in your seat until it's finally over? And that based on a rave recommendations from a respected friend?
Of course, every time you buy a book or a cinema ticket you take a small risk, but you take it for yourself. I have often left a book unfinished,
that's not the same as writing a review about a film you haven't seen.
Involving a group is different.
And no one wants to be the person everyone else points at and says "But it was her idea!
If I recommend a book I read and loved and then people don't like it, yes, the group read didn't work but I went into it having formed an honest personal opinion that it was good.
People will just think we don't have the same tastes.
But if they find later that I had never read the book in the first place and had only recommended the reviews they would have good cause to be annoyed with me.
Of course one could try recommending something saying "however, I haven't read it", and people will decide whether to pursue this or not.

Actually Lilith, you and I are not saying different things I think, but this would be better in the Additional Fiction Book Discussion Forum .

I agree with you that discussing books we didn't like can also be very interesting-- actually WildCityWoman opened a thread for this in "Additional Fiction".

It's lovely that you've decided to read to order the short story collection from the Library (er... reading "something different?" :smile: ).
Last edited by Ophelia on Tue May 13, 2008 3:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ophelia.
Ophelia

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Oddly Attracted to Books

Unread post

Home at last, Lilith... ;-)

If you would like me to change the title of this thread I can do so.
Ophelia.

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book!”