• In total there are 107 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 107 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

Help!!! I need a book!

Authors are invited and encouraged to present their FICTION books solely within this forum.
Kate xxx

Help!!! I need a book!

Unread post

I am searching for good book to read and I was wondering if anyone could help me. My favourite books are the Harry Potter series by JK Rowling and the Twlight series by Stephanie Meyer. The qualities I look for in a good book are:
-fiction
-admirable main character that you can relate to (preferably 16-18 years of age, maybe a girl)
-romance and love
-mystery
-adventure
-page turner
-unputdownability
-preferably a series
-makes you laugh
-makes you cry
-well thought out plot
-rereadability
-where everything adds up in the end like a jigsaw
-a good twist
-longish book
-update to date/modern
-adventure
-supernatural
-good guys and bad guys
I know I am being very specific but I would really appreciate any suggestions- especially if you think it is better than Harry Potter!!!
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Read the Sword of Truth by Terry Goodkind. It doesn't fit all your criteria, but is very good all the same. It's the first in a series.
faizam_2012

Unread post

I think you should try reading THE VAMPIRE DAIRIES series and it will get you eager to read THE SECRET CIRCLE THE INITIATION AND THE CAPTIVE PART 1 and PART 2
But you should try reading THE SECRET CIRCLE THE INITIATION AND THE CAPTIVE PART 1 and PART 2 FIRST :up:
GentleReader9

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Internet Sage

Unread post

I recommend a trilogy by Garth Nix: Sabriel, Lirael, and Abhorsen. I absolutely loved this series and it has elements of the kind of fantasy you say you like.

Sabriel introduces you to the world of the series and to one, but not the only form of supernatural power in it: the Ahorsen whose role is the opposite of the that of the necromancer, to put to rest the resurrected dead. A teenage girl inherits this unenviable job from her father, along with his bandolier of seven bells and what she has been able to learn about how to stand in the icy river of death, navigating each of the perilous "gates" while out of her body in order to save the world from domination by evil necromancers and their enslaved dead.

It's an exciting and imaginative series, full of such funny and wonderful characters. My daughter and I love Mogget, who is much more than the sarcastic and aristocratic white cat with a bell collar he appears to be at first, and who always gets the best lines.
"Where can I find a man who has forgotten the words so that I can talk with him?"
-- Chuang-Tzu (c. 200 B.C.E.)
as quoted by Robert A. Burton
et cetera
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I know it's kind of cliche, but I think you should read C.S. Lewis' Narnia series starting with The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.
DistortedFairytale
Official Newbie!

Artemis Fowl

Unread post

Have you tried the Artemis Fowl series by Eoin Colfer?

I haven't read all the books in the series (in fact, I'm WAY behind) but I found the first 2 very enjoyable.
jerseyucf
Almost Comfortable

Walden

Unread post

My favorite is Walden: or Life in the Woods
tari_helyanwe

Unread post

Well His Dark Materials fits pretty much all that criteria, suprised no one else has mentioned it already.
Sara-Anita
Official Newbie!

My Sisters Keeper

Unread post

I have the harry potter series and i must have read them at least 4 time through, so i understand completely just how hard it is to follow such a powereful page turing series.

I may have the answer though! This book is a stand alone, so its not a serial, it is however one of the most compelling book i have had the pleasure to read, i read it about six moths ago and i couldnt put it down. It has not one but two majour twists to it, that you would never expect, and the way its written is very unusal. Each chapter is narrated by a different character and it jumps between them seemlessly.

Anyhow, you may have heard of it, it called my sisters keeper by jodi picoult, it about two sisters, one 13 and one 18, the younger sister was concieved to be an exact match for her older sister who's sick - i know this sound depressing, but this book will have you laughing out load on the bus and the crying real tears in a heartbeat, its an incredible book and its one of the few "must read before you die" books around.

I Hope you read it because it really is a flawless story.

Good luck with the search.

Sara-Anita
uod_sa_libro
Experienced

Unread post

You could try Maximum Ride series by James Patterson. It satisifies your criteria. I think there are 3 - 4 books in the series. The lead character is a girl named Maximum Ride - but she's no ordinary girl! (drumroll, please) She has wings! :clap:

You could also try the Cirque du Freak series by Darren Shan or the Demonata series by the same author. It actually starrs a 12/13 year old boy but the series has an exciting storyline. :D

Hope you find what you're looking for!

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book!”