• In total there are 70 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 68 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1000 on Sun Jun 30, 2024 12:23 am

Hello everyone. It's a pleasure to be here.

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Thrillwriter

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
All Star Member

Hello everyone. It's a pleasure to be here.

Unread post

My name is Diana. I live in South Carolina on 6 acres of seclusion. I enjoy my private time because it is then that I can think, write, read, and reflect.

I grew up in a military family with two sisters and a brother. I attended Old Dominion University in Virginia. I earned an MBA with a minor in communication and acquired my doctorate in Metaphysics. I'm a self-described shy introvert. I prefer to stay home with my books, animals, and computer.

I have penned numerous short stories, essays, and poems. My first published piece was a poem entitled, Warm Gentle Man. I have two published novels thus far. Vengeance Settles the Score and Running From Her Past.

I submit works to contests, agents, publishers, magazines, you name it, they have probably heard of me, at least once. Yes, I have had my share of rejection notices.

Each day, I try to live by those great words of William Faulkner, "Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself."
Thomas Hood
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

Welcome to BookTalk, Diana. If others would like to sample your work:

http://firstchapterproject.jimdo.com/th ... e-settles/

http://www.dianabainwriter.webs.com/

http://dianabainwriter.webs.com/bio.htm

Does a degree in metaphysics with its emphasis on the reality behind appearances help you to write crime mysteries?

Tom
Thrillwriter

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
All Star Member

That's is an excellent question Thomas. I'm glad you asked.

Unread post

Thank you, I'm happy to be here.

Metaphysics is a science, much like philosophy, as I'm sure you read on Wikipedia. Identity and change, mind and matter, necessity and possibility, religion and spirituality, and materialism or philosophy of the mind. I am in belief that metaphysics is central to simplicity, unity, reality, necessary connection, causation, logic, knowledge, certianty, senses, science and truth.
So in a word, yes, I do believe that my education, although diverse, has helped me write the stories I write. However, the real reason I write crime fiction is bcause those are the stories I like to read. and I believe writing what you enjoy reading makes good story telling. To me good crime fiction is immensely satisfying. It's entertaining, has well-paced, involving stories and intriguing characters. It provides that little rush of adrenaline. It is in itself a fabulous drug. It produces a great high, it's legal and it's free. For many readers, crime fiction is reassuring because in the end order is restored. But the best crime fiction does more than reassure. It helps form our understanding of social issues, and by drawing us into an exploration of that which disturbs us, it can give our deepest fears narrative form and meaning.
Thank you for taking the time to ask me. I hope I answered your question and was not too over zealous.
Di
Last edited by Thrillwriter on Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bobby408
Gaining experience

Welcome!

Unread post

Welcome Diana,

I LOVE YOUR QUOTE!!!! It is so true. Do you like South Carolina? I've been there before and I loved it! Anyways, I really am glad that you are part of this group. I joined a few days ago and I have been impressed with the passion of the members as well as the intellectual power available here. It is a nice place to argue ideas because the members argue with reason, courtesy, and intellect. I hope that you find much intellectual enjoyment and self-reflection in this group as I have!
Thrillwriter

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
All Star Member

Unread post

Hello Bobby,

How nice to meet you. You sound like a kind, caring person. One with which I would enjoy conversing with. It is my pleasure to meet you.

South Carolina is nice. It is not my favorite place to be, but I am here and therefore, I make the best of it. I much prefer the mountains of Western North Carolina. They are serene and beautiful with bubbling trout streams with great fishing. And cool, crisp, clean air to breathe in. The mist in the mornings hang over Grandfather mountain in a quiet gracefulness. And then later in the afternoons you can watch as it glides by the massive mountainous range unaware of its true beauty and spledor. It is a wonderful place to lose one's self in thought and reflection. Obviously, you can tell that is my favorite place to be.

You wrote that you were here in South Carolina, when was that? Where did you go? I would love to hear all about it.

"May the road rise up to meet you, May the wind be ever at your back, May the sun shine warm upon your face, And the rain fall soft upon your fields, And until we meet again, May God hold you in the palm of his hand."
An old Irish Blessing I remember from way back when. :smile:
bobby408
Gaining experience

Unread post

Hi again! I was in South Carolina with my parents and brothers when I was seven years old. We used to drive down every year to the smoky mountains in Tennessee and one particular year my father decided to stretch the trip down the carolinas. Since I was young I don't remember much but I definitely do remember my love of South Carolina: Myrtle beach. Myrtle beach is special because it was the first time I had ever seen the ocean before!! I remember feeding the seagulls and running out of bread with about fifty of them staring me down for more! I started running scared with almost all of them chasing behind me! Luckily, a good samaritan distracted them with more bread. My brothers and I didn't swim but we lay on the shore and let the humongous waves give us a ride. I lost myself for at least three hours just in the waves. Then my brothers and I built a real amateur sandcastle that was destroyed by early-evening waves. I never forget that day as my love affair with the oceans began. Nine years later was the next time I had gone to a beach. I moved to Lebanon and had the lucky experience of living in Beirut, right on the Mediterranean Sea! My love affair with my new lady, The Mediterranean, began for another four years. Unfortunately I haven't seen the ocean since 2002, when I moved back here to continue higher education. By the way, I envy your ability to really escape through your surroundings. Michigan doesn't have much with regards to beauty. Take advantage of this natural beauty and cherish your home (I'm sure you already are). Anyways, enough of my rambling. I am looking forward to discussion with you. By the way, are any of your crime fictions published? If so, may I have the titles of your most exciting?? Thanks!
Thrillwriter

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
All Star Member

Unread post

Hi again Bobby,

You have a creative gift of writing. I could see you and your brothers riding the waves at Myrtle Beach. What fun you must of had. The seagull tale was extremely amusing. I'm still laughing about the story you tell. Although, for a seven year old, I'm sure it wasn't funny then. (I do hope I didn't offend you.)

I write thrillers, suspense, crime drama, and mysteries. Because ... that is what I enjoy reading. A novel you may be interested in is "Vengeance Settles the Score." It is available at www.amazon.com
Synopsis:
Two young women went missing. One of them battered and terrified made it out alive. Her best friend was not so lucky. They never caught the killer. The case went cold.The only survivor isn't talking but she knows he's still out there, waiting and watching. Five years later the killer is back with a vengeance. He has perfected his technique. A student of the university has found another innocent student brutally raped, tortured, and murdered. This case will be a tough one, the main hope is for the killer to screw up and leave behind some forensic tidbit. Nevertheless, this killer is a careful planner. The investigation intensifies as the race against time begins. The real question is can the killer be caught before he settles the score.
ISBN -1-60813-867-4 Price: $22.95 Available now
If you do decide to read it, I would be honored if you would critique it for me. I trust that you would be honest and forthright. Not judgemental or hurtful.
This is the first of a series of 'Vengeance' novels. The second one, Vengeance Times Two, I submitted to Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award (ABNA) Contest. I'm hoping it is good enough. Time will tell.

I have another novel more of a Mafia mysterey/suspense titled, "Runing From Her Past." Lots of twists at the end.

Synopsis: Samantha Waters has been running ahead of her fate her entire life. T. J. Loomis has been running from a life that never gave him comfort. Their lives run together in an attempt to stop a killer and keep him from becoming the next Cosa Nostra Crime Boss. Samantha is committed to stopping him. T. J. is committed to keeping her alive. In the fast paced journey they find out about each other and themselves. $16.95

I'm not sure what your favorite genre is, or who you enjoy reading. But check them out, perhaps you will find one you like.

Do you write? I love to read. Anything you can share with me?

I do hope we can be friends. "I find friendship to be like wine, raw when new, ripened with age, the true old man's milk and restorative cordial."
- Thomas Jefferson
Take care my new friend, until next time.
bobby408
Gaining experience

Unread post

Hi!

I would LOVE to read your novels and critique it! I have ordered your novel, "Vengeance Settles The Score." It will take some time to arrive though. I would like to remind you that I am still very young (22) and my critique may not be of an expert lol. But I will definitely read it with care and be forthright and honest, holding nothing back. The style you write with, that of exciting, heart-pounding, and fast-paced, definitely appeals to my nature so I know I will enjoy it.

As for my favorite genre, I may dissapoint you by telling you I honestly have not read much fiction. I read ALOT about political science, history, statecraft, biographies, etc. Due to a unique circumstance, which I will share with you in the future, I am inflamed with a desire and complete obsession with improving upon the world. The event that lit this fuse of obsession completely disillusioned me with the usual "ideal and happy" world of kids and made me realize just how cynical and "f'ed" up the world, especially politically, just really is.l From that point I set out on a mission to make positive change to this world and this led to my obsession with books dealing with politics and history.

However, I read about 2 novels, fast-paced and exciting, when I was younger. I remember them because they were the first books I ever read. They were both books by Margeret Truman. I forgot the titles but they were mostly about government and politics and conspiracies. It is a shame I do not read more fiction because authors in this genre face a much more difficult time writing compared to non-fiction writers, where you already have the sources ready for your elaboration. Fiction needs a great amount of novelty, patience, vigilance, introspection, philosophy, creativity, imagination, and spontaneity. I am MUCH looking forward to your novel. I need a break from the tedious seriousness of political books.

Oh yeah, you asked if I wrote anything. I have not wrote any books yet. However, I plan to begin sketching some ideas about the current political order and maybe I will find a workable thesis I can elaborate on. I have written a few college papers though, although I don't know if you would find them interesting lol. I did write some good papers and one of the papers won runner-up in a college writing contest. I don't make a big deal out of this contest because there weren't many contestants to begin with! It is soooooooooo sad to see this young and emerging American generation not interested in reading, writing, reflection, or knowledge. All around my community I see people only worried about how they look, what they wear, what they drive, and where they live and work. An obsession with materialism is sapping my community's potential.

By the way I really appreciate your openness of heart to me. You do not know how you made me feel when you offered me genuine friendship. Of course I will be your friend and I thank you for being so generous with your pure and blessed heart. Anyways, PLEASE forgive me for my excessive rambling, take care my sweet...
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Welcome to BookTalk.org. :smile:
bobby408
Gaining experience

Unread post

Thanks Chris! I am looking forward to the discussion groups with you and the rest of the awesome members here...

Return to “Everything Else”