• In total there are 77 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 75 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1000 on Sun Jun 30, 2024 12:23 am

What does your BookTalk.org name mean?

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

I see some really creative names for usernames here on BookTalk.org, so I'm asking you guys to share your secret meaning. Why the name? What is the story behind your choice of name?
Thomas Hood
Genuinely Genius

Re: What does your BookTalk.org name mean?

Unread post

Chris OConnor wrote:What does your BookTalk.org name mean?
I was told by a European that they considered the American practice of handles to be a form of concealment, so ever since I have used my real name.
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
One more post ought to do it.

Unread post

Of course, Penelope is my real name and it means 'Weaver'.

As I have always been a weaver of spells, the name is so apt that I have never wished to conceal it. :smile:
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad....

Rafael Sabatini
jerseyucf
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

JerseyUCF

"Jersey-"
I am from New Jersey. Born and raised.

"-UCF"
I moved in the middle of my junior year of high school to Florida which is where I eventually earned my BA and MA. That is where the UCF part comes in --- University of Central Florida.
Thomas Hood
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

Penelope wrote:Of course, Penelope is my real name and it means 'Weaver'.
"The origin of her name is Pre-Greek and is more likely related to the Hesychius' gloss πηνέλοψ/*πηνέλωψ "some kind of bird" [3] (arbitrarily identified today with Eurasian Wigeon), where -έλωψ is a common Pre-Greek suffix for predatory animals [4], however the semantic relation between the proper name and the gloss is not clear. In folk etymology, Πηνελόπη is usually understood to combine the Greek word for "web" or "woof" (πήνη / pene), and the word for "eye" or "face" (ὤψ / ōps), which is considered the most appropriate for a weaver of cunning whose motivation is hard to decipher[5], or alternatively πήνη and λέπω "peel, skive" (akin to leper) due to the shroud-unbraiding part of her myth."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penelope

Wigeon: "Duckie" :)
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Tom said:-
which is considered the most appropriate for a weaver of cunning whose motivation is hard to decipher
Well, cunning I ain't, Tom. :laugh:

My motivation is transparent....ie What you see is what you get.

We have enjoyed a Widgeon or two though, on our dinner table. Also Blackcock, Teal, Mallard....etc. It depends what flies over. ;-)
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

Rafael Sabatini
Thomas Hood
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

Penelope wrote:My motivation is transparent....ie What you see is what you get.
Hmmm. . . Might be deeper than that. I seem to have noticed a fondness for water and waterbird pictures at your blog.
Thrillwriter

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
All Star Member

Unread post

My BT name simply refers to the fact that I write and enjoy reading thrillers. However, my given name and the name I write under is Diana ...

The girl's name Diana \di(a)-na\ is pronounced dy-ANN-ah. It is of Latin origin, and its meaning is "divine". Mythology: Diana was an ancient Roman divinity who came to be associated with the Greek god Artemis. Noted for her beauty and fleetness, Diana is often depicted as a huntress. Used since the 16th century. Popularized by the late Princess of Wales.
"A good friend can tell you what is the matter with you in a minute. He may not seem such a good friend after telling." - Arthur Brisbane
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Dear Tom said:-
I seem to have noticed a fondness for water and waterbird pictures at your blog.
Tom, listen, that's because OH and I walk the canals. We walk the canals because they are flat. I don't like 'up' anymore. A few years ago my pictures would have been of hills and moors, 'cause that's where we walked. Now, I like walking....but flat. Because, I can do the climbing up, but the coming down hurts my knees!!!! :D

Rafael Sabatini
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Thrillwrtr:-
Diana is often depicted as a huntress. Used since the 16th century. Popularized by the late Princess of Wales.
In the Bible....(Ahem!!) In Corinthians, I think....there is a lovely chapter about Saint Paul trying to preach the gospel to the 'Cult of Diana'. The Romans, loved the idea of this godess so much, that they formed a cult of worshippers. She was a beautiful, and romantic figure......as was our Princess Di.....and it felt a bit that way here, when she died. She fitted a certain stereotype in the human imagination. And even had the same name. :(

Rafael Sabatini

Return to “Everything Else”