• In total there are 36 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 36 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

Can anyone elucidate on this please? Schrödinger

Engage in discussions encompassing themes like cosmology, human evolution, genetic engineering, earth science, climate change, artificial intelligence, psychology, and beyond in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
One more post ought to do it.

Can anyone elucidate on this please? Schrödinger

Unread post

The following was printed in today's newspaper.

OK - Now I understand the question.....to some extent.

Can anyone help me towards understanding the answer?

Cat's out of the box

Is it possible to prove something is impossible? Answers preferred without reference to God or Schrödinger's Cat, neither of which I understand.

• Schrödinger (N&Q, 1 April) was pointing out the absurdity of the current model for quantum mechanics. The behaviour of subatomic particles appears random and unpredictable, leading to the hypothesis that it is only possible to tell what a subatomic particle is by observing it, or by its interaction with something else. This in turn led to the idea that until the point of observation or interaction, a particle in fact exists in a state when it has taken every possible course to get somewhere, simultaneously.

This people accepted on the abstract quantum level, but in 1935 Schrödinger translated it onto a level we understand with his cat-in-a-box thought experiment.

The cat is placed in a box with a bottle of poison, a Geiger counter and a radioactive source. The radioactive source decaying is an example of a random quantum event, and the Geiger counter is rigged to break the bottle of poison if set off.

Let's say there is a 50-50 chance the source will decay: at the end of the experiment it has either set off the Geiger counter and poisoned the cat, or it hasn't. Since current theory said that until you observed the source, it had both decayed and not decayed, it follows that the cat must also be alive and dead in the box, until you opened the lid to find out which it was. Now that is absurd.

What Schrödinger was doing was proving current quantum theory wrong.
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad....

Rafael Sabatini
MaryLupin

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Junior

Unread post

Just a few things:

First, Schrodinger wasn't proving quantum theory wrong, he was pointing out that there would be paradox problems when applying the world of quantum mechanics to the "normal" (i.e. human level) world.

Second, just because something is absurd doesn't make it necessarily wrong. It might just be that our level of understanding is too small, or simply misapplied. As an example, imagine the reaction of a people who believe in the idea that only women are infertile to the idea of women as naturally competitive. Or applying the language of metaphor to what requires an empirical analysis - like if your surgeon wanted to cut using the edge of his tongue. Wrong. Probably needs to stay away from metaphor and stick to his text books, not to mention his (hopefully) sharp scalpel.

Third, the idea of measurement...most people I hear talk about this seem to have the idea that measurement means something people do. Quantum states are fluid, they maintain all possibilities, until the moment when differing possibilities interact. This is "measurement." When the quantum possibilities interact the possibilities collapse into a state. This collapsed state is the source of our "normal" world.

So the cat is not a quantum reality but a collapsed set of probabilities that is now a state we call "cat."

At least I think so.
I've always found it rather exciting to remember that there is a difference between what we experience and what we think it means.
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Mary thank you. That was not only an excellent explanation, but also rather an exciting path to explore further.

Am I correct in thinking of it in the same way as 'ideas' before they become manifest.

As in, we think of an idea, or are inspired. We create the work of art, or the apple pie.....and then it becomes manifest?

Quantum mechanics is before all the ingredients are mixed together, or before the paint reaches the canvas? But not before the 'idea'....they are already potential???

I can't ask my scientist husband about this......he is kind and patient most of the time....but when I put my take on things to him....he looks pained.

:weep:
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

Rafael Sabatini
MaryLupin

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Junior

Unread post

Well I can see how it would be metaphorically the same thing. That is, there is a liminal state where nothing seems to exist yet but there is potential for its existence and then suddently (it seems) there it is - reality manifest. That is the same in the 2 cases.

The thing about the quantum world is that (even though much more remains unknown than known) it is a world of stuff/energy. Whether it is particulate or energy strings (or both or something else entirely) the quantum world is not a world of intent or imagination. It is a world of actions and reactions.

The human mind (like the mind of other animals) is a world of intent. That is we direct our actions whether consciously or unconsciously to achieve something (like continued life, or pleasure, etc). So when a poem is being born in the imagination it is coming into being limited by the history, needs and desires of the being creating it. Quanta collapse their potential into "reality" without intent.

Do you remember Chemistry class when the teacher talked about how sodium and clorine move electrons just by being mixed together? I mean the reason that happens isn't because of any intent on the part of the atoms. It happens just because the forces react to each other, because some states are more stable than others. Like iron filings and magnets. Or the orbit of moons around a planet.

I'm a big believer in the power and usefulness of metaphor but it becomes a burden (and a deceiver) if we believe in its literal truth.
I've always found it rather exciting to remember that there is a difference between what we experience and what we think it means.
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Mary:
Do you remember Chemistry class when the teacher talked about how sodium and clorine move electrons just by being mixed together? I mean the reason that happens isn't because of any intent on the part of the atoms. It happens just because the forces react to each other, because some states are more stable than others. Like iron filings and magnets. Or the orbit of moons around a planet.
Oh yes, thank you. I see what you mean. The bloomin' cat in the box metaphore, complicated it from my point of view, I think.

Being far more artistic by nature, than scientific, I am inclined to make up my own, often inappropriate, metaphores and when they get mixed with some one else's, then I am really in trouble. :hmm:

Thankyou Mary

Rafael Sabatini
Thomas Hood
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

Penelope wrote:The bloomin' cat in the box metaphor, complicated it from my point of view, I think.
Repulsive and immoral, which goes to show that ability in science does not prevent one from being a moral idiot. Just perhaps Schrodinger died from radiation poisoning in an attempt to treat his TB.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schrodinger
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schr%C3%B6dinger%27s_cat
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Wait a minute Tom!!!!

There never was a real cat in a box....It was just a metaphore to help us to visualise a very complicated proposition.

And if Schrodinger was a personal friend of Albert Einstein, then I don't think for a minute that he would have been a moral idiot, or even an idiot of any kind.

It is just that Quantum Mechanics is so very difficult to get ones' head around...that the metaphore is necessary for the layman.

For a layman like me, who makes up her own physics.....by metaphores, I think it is a lost cause. But I wouldn't want to blacken the poor man's name. He wasn't cruel to any cats so far as we know.

Rafael Sabatini
Thomas Hood
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

Penelope wrote: And if Schrodinger was a personal friend of Albert Einstein, then I don't think for a minute that he would have been a moral idiot, or even an idiot of any kind.
I take it you haven't read a biography of Einstein? :)
But I wouldn't want to blacken the poor man's name. He wasn't cruel to any cats so far as we know.
Schrodinger was repeated fired or denied academic appointment on morals issues, so I am hardly blackening his name.

I'm thinking that Schrodinger's thought experiment could have been prophetic, and he got a taste of his own medicine. Considering the feminism at BookTalk, it is so odd to see Schrodinger even mentioned.

Is 'metaphore' the British spelling for 'metaphor'?

Tom
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Tom, I haven't read any biographies of either Einstein or Schrodinger.

I have seen one biopic of Einstein. And read 'bits' about him here and there.

I just got interested in the 'Schrodinger Cat' metaphore some years ago. I read about it....and didn't even understand the question.

Recently, I thought I had begun to understand the question and so ventured to try to understand a little more about the answer.

But if it is going to lose me friends....I don't care enough to continue.

So what does that tell you about me?.....Pick Daises and shut up Pen!! :(

Rafael Sabatini
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

P.S. Tom

Metaphor not Metaphore

As well as making up my own Religion and my own physics....it seems I also make up my own spelling......

Well, I never pretended to be anything other than the half-educated 'nit' that I am. :P

Rafael Sabatini

Return to “Science & Technology”