• In total there are 50 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 49 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

Allan Azouz

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
allanazouz
Getting Comfortable

Allan Azouz

Unread post

Greetings. I am a recently published horror author. My novel, Shadows of Souls, has been a long time in the making.

Being a NYC high school teacher, I have learned the meaning of horror and am well able to write in that genre.

People say that the most interesting thing about me is that I speak seven languages, including one that is only spoken by about 100,000 people in the world. I think the most interesting thing about me is that I can grow a Van Dyke very quickly.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Grow a Van Dyke? What's a Van Dyke?

Interesting intro. :smile: I have respect for anyone that can teach in NYC, especially the higher grades. I'd love to hear some of your horror stories too. Feel free to create a thread and tell us about your experiences.

Oh, and welcome to BookTalk.org.
allanazouz
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Just to complete a thought:

a van dyke is a kind of a beard that is usually incorrectly referred to as a goatee. It is a moustache that grows down and is filled in with beard. A goatee is just the hair growing under the lip and on the center of the chin.
Banana
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Which languages? That's pretty cool!
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

welcome

Unread post

Hello and welcome allanazouz!

Being a NYC high school teacher, I have learned the meaning of horror and am well able to write in that genre.
I would also enjoy hearing about your adventures with the public school system of NYC.

Good luck with your book!
allanazouz
Getting Comfortable

Allan Azouz

Unread post

You might be surprised at some of the languages:

I do speak a little bit of English (I have a better command of Middle English, and can even understand a sizable amount of Old English)

On top of that, I speak Spanish, Italian, Hebrew, some German, Mandarin, and Ladino. I would wonder how many of you have heard of that last one. I am probably the last generation in American still to speak it. There are still some radio shows in Israel conducted in Ladino, but only for about an hour a day.
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

welcome

Unread post

Have you ever cursed at your students without them knowing it?

I have wanted to learn another language. I think some people have a natural talent for this, sounds like you are very talented.
allanazouz
Getting Comfortable

Teacher

Unread post

I've never cursed at them, but I have left them wondering if I have. I will often say, "Sheket b'vakash," which my Hebrew school teachers used to yell at us. My students will ask why I switched languages. I reply that they obviously don't understand English, so I decided to try something else. They usually respond, "You were probably cursing at us, and we wouldn't even know it."

I don't know if I have a talent for languages. A lot of it was necessity. My grandmother only spoke Ladino (and Greek, Turkish and French), I needed Hebrew for my religious training, and I had friends whose parents only spoke Chinese -- thus I learned it.

In my current school, there are quite a few Chinese kids. I have shocked them by being able to speak with their parents about behavior and missing homework.
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

welcome

Unread post

Could you provide a link to your book?

Thanks
allanazouz
Getting Comfortable

Link to book

Unread post

Here's the link to my book on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Shadows-Souls-All ... 258&sr=8-1

In the new book I'm working on, a medieval vampire novel, I even include some Ladino. I was debating on whether or not to do so, but I figured why not use my specialized knowledge?

Incidentally and tangential to nothing, here is one of my favorite book quotes. It is from Titus Andronicus:

Chiron: “Thou hast undone our mother."
Aaron: “Villain, I have done thy mother."

Return to “Everything Else”