• In total there are 32 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 31 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 880 on Fri Jun 28, 2024 11:45 am

Concerning Chris O'Connor...

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Concerning Chris O'Connor...

Unread post

I've encouraged all BookTalk members to create personal introductory threads in this forum, yet I have neglected to practice what I preach. Prior to tonight I was of the opinion that my About Chris O'Connor page should suffice and provide enough information about me to quench anyone's curiosity. But upon further consideration I am realizing that having a journal thread is more personal, dynamic and naturally interactive. Who knows who will read my posts, but it is probably therapeutic and healthy to keep them flowing.BookTalk will have reached its second year of existence in May of 2004, and I'm rather pleased with things. The books we've read have helped shape my personal worldview into one that is more rational, open-minded, and hopefully compassionate. The relationships I've developed with fellow members have made all the hard work of creating and maintaining this community worthwhile. We have great members - really good people. So I'm happy with BookTalk. I'd like to see us grow and offer more to a greater audience, but should this never occur I could still be pleased with what we have attained.Since our creation back in May of 2002 we've had the great privilege of having some of the worlds most well-respected authors and scientists as guests in the BookTalk chat room. Sometimes I am amazed at how things have unfolded. Richard Dawkins, one of my favorite authors, actually accepted our invitation and chatted with us. Would he have been so gracious had I not met him personally at the 2003 Atheist Alliance International Convention and asked him to spend some time with some of his fans? I just don't know. But the list is growing and I didn't have such a luxury with any of the other guests. Howard Bloom, Stephen Pinker, Massimo Pigliucci, Matt Ridley, and soon Antonio Damasio...they all said "yes." We have been lucky and I know this. I just hope our guests are cognizant of how much we appreciate their generosity with their time.What does 2004 hold for BookTalk?My mind races and I have to control my passion for humanism and the freethinker worldview - lest it consume me. Our core mission is an important one, but it must be tempered with a healthy dose of balance in my own personal life. Often I get so fired up I dive into things and bite off more than I can chew. BookTalk unfortunately doesn't pay the bills, and I have to resist the urge to sink more and more time and money into this community. I'll always devote considerable resources to this endeavor, but in the event I win the lottery or suddenly have more free time I really will take this to the next level. There is so much that needs to be done. I've got so many ideas and I really wish I could run with them. But the clock keeps ticking and life beckons me away for other things. It is about 2:30 in the morning and I should be asleep, but I just watched part of a PBS special about the life of Ben Franklin. What a fascinating and brilliant man he was. I know of nobody that has contributed more to this world than Franklin, but that could be a long debate. The point is...the show made me think. What really matters in life? Surely it is not the acquisition of material items, because you aren't taking them with you when you die.So what matters? Is it the pursuit of knowledge? I personally find this extremely important, but not as important as the relationships we develop with other people. To me life is made worth living because of relationships. Learning everything you can is a good thing, in that it enables you to give more to this world. Giving is good. Being selfish and egocentric sucks. I'm not sure where I'm going with this. Actually, I know where I'm going. I'm going to bed.Me "The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them"
Last edited by Chris OConnor on Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Re: Concerning Chris O'Connor...

Unread post

Quote:If you would not be forgotten, as soon as you are dead and rotten, either write things worth reading, or do things worth the writing. Benjamin Franklin "The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them"
Naturyl

Unread post

Chris, you're a gem. I'm glad to have the opportunity to know you. The world is full of so many people of mediocre spirit, and it's always nice to encounter one of the few who makes human interaction seem less tiresome. This is sounding more cynical than I'd intended, but the point is that I think you're a quality guy.
NaddiaAoC

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Wearing Out Library Card

Unread post

Naturyl,I have to agree. Chris is definitely a quality person in my opinion. And he does practice what he preaches. He's not just brains. He's heart. He's a quality friend, the type that are rare to find in this world.Cheryl
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

Naturyl & CherylThank you very much for the kind words. Some days we all need to hear such things, and this is one of them for me. I appreciate it guys.Chris "The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them"
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

Being the overly emotional fool that I am I thought I would post the lyrics to a song that really puts a lump in my throat. Music is such a huge part of my life, and songs that stir the emotions are my favorite. Anyone that likes country music should download this off WinMX.com. Travelin' Soldier by Dixie ChicksTwo days past eighteenHe was waiting for the bus in his army greenSat down in a booth in a cafe thereGave his order to a girl with a bow in her hairHe's a little shy so she gives him a smileAnd he said would you mind sittin' down for a whileAnd talking to me,I'm feeling a little lowShe said I'm off in an hour and I know where we can goSo they went down and they sat on the pierHe said I bet you got a boyfriend but I don't careI got no one to send a letter toWould you mind if I sent one back here to youChorus: I criedNever gonna hold the hand of another guyToo young for him they told herWaitin' for the love of a travelin' soldierOver love will never endWaitin' for the soldier to come back againNever more to be alone when the letter saidA soldier's coming homeSo the letters came from an army campIn California then VietnamAnd he told her of his heartIt might be love and all of the things he was so scared ofHe said when it's getting kinda rough over hereI think of that day sittin' down at the pierAnd I close my eyes and see your pretty smileDon't worry but I won't be able to write for awhile[Chorus]One Friday night at a football gameThe Lord's Prayer said and the Anthem sangA man said folks would you bow your headsFor a list of local Vietnam deadCrying all alone under the standsWas a piccolo player in the marching bandAnd one name read and nobody really caredBut a pretty little girl with a bow in her hair[Chorus][Chorus]Chris "The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them"
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

Another excellent song...Riding With Private Malone - David BallI was just out of the service thumbing through the classifiedsWhen an ad that said "Old Chevy" somehow caught my eyeThe lady didn't know the year or even if it ranBut I had that thousand dollars in my handIt was way back in the corner of this old ramshackle barnWith thirty years of dust and dirt on that green army tarpAnd When I pulled the cover off,it took away my breathWhat she'd called a Chevy was a '66 CorvetteI felt a little guilty as I counted out the billsBut what a thrill I got when I sat behind the wheelI opened up the glove box and that's when I found the noteThe date was 1966 and this is what he wrote:He said "My name is Private Andrew Malone and If you're reading this, then I didn't make it home,But for every dream that shattered,another one came trueThis car was once a dream of mine, now it belongs to youAnd though you may take her and make her your ownYou'll always be riding with Private Malone"Well it didn't take me long at all, I had her running goodI love to hear those horses thunder underneath her hoodI had her shining like a diamond and I'd put the rag top downAll the pretty girls would stop and stare as I drove her though townThe buttons on the radio didn't seem to work quite rightBut it picked up that oldie show, especially late at nightI'd get the feeling sometimes, if I turned real quick I'd seeA soldier riding shotgun in the seat right next to meIt was a young man named Private Andrew MaloneWho fought for his country and never made it homeBut for every dream that's shattered, another one comes trueThis car was once a dream of his, back when it was newHe told me to take her and make her my ownAnd I was proud to be riding with Private MaloneOne night it was raining hard, I took the curve too fastI still don't remember much about that fiery crashAnd someone said they thought they saw a soldier pull me outThey didn't get his name, but I know without a doubtIt was a young man named Private Andrew MaloneWho fought for his country and never made it homeBut for every dream that's shattered, another one comes trueThis car was once a dream of his, back when it was newAnd I know I wouldn't be here if he hadn't tagged alongOh, thank God, I was riding with Private MaloneChris "The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them"
Caroniew

Unread post

Country? So I'm not the only one out there? Some other songs that are really good are 'Cowboy's Like Us' by George Strait(okay, so not exactly message-wise, but STILL), and 'Speed' by Montgomery Gentry. Thanks for making this place. I'm new, as may be obvious, but it is great to find a place where I can talk about my number one obsession. *Caroniew*
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

Ahh, an excellent song that doesn't have a thing to do with being a soldier. The following country song is one that sits on the very top of my favorites list. Read the lyrics, or better yet, download the song and take a listen.The words are what move me and they really capture the essence of my life. Music has been my friend since I was a little boy. Music helped me through some extremely tough times. I'm not sure I can articulate how it worked, but I'll try. Music, and especially the lyrics, took me out of the moment and out of my own situation and gave me perspective. Music is a window into the lives, experiences, hardships, heartaches and passions of others. When I was down I would listen to a song and realize that we're all in this together. What I am feeling has been felt by millions of other people throughout time. While my feelings are real and tangible...I will survive just like everyone eventually does.God I love this song... Clint Black State Of MindGot a big leather suitcase, all I own's insideSeems I've been walkin' for days, can't even bum a rideTry steppin' to a tune, with the rhythm of a walkin' manMind drifts like a big balloon out of my situation at handAin't it funny how a melody can bring back a memoryTake you to another place in timeCompletely change your state of mindWalkin' down a lonely highway not feelin' aloneThinkin' back when things went my way and not the road I'm onWell, I've been down a time or two, but it never lasts longI can always make it through on a wing and a prayer and a songAin't it funny how a melody can bring back a memoryTake you to another place in timeCompletely change your state of mindIt can make a right from a wrong, it can make you fall in loveIt can get you singin' alongChase the clouds away and make the sun shine aboveA melody can bring back a memoryTake you to another place in timeCompletely change your state of mindA melody can bring back a memoryTake you to another place in timeCompletely change your state of mind Years of my childhood were spent living out of suitcases, with all I owned inside. While Clint Black is talking about walking down a lonely highway, and not being able to even bum a ride, I liken this to the road I was on in my childhood. Nobody but me...and not one person stopped to give me a ride. And then came music and I realized I would make it. Out of the situation and into the minds and hearts of others, good music snapped me out of feeling sorry for myself and making me abundantly aware that things could always be worse. As Clint Black walks his mind drifts to music and out of his lonely situation. Damn thats good.Well, I've been down a time or two, but it never lasts longI can always make it through on a wing and a prayer and a song.Chris "The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them"
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

CaroniewGeorge Strait is awesome! Clear Blue Sky is one of my favorites of his. Sometimes the message doesn't have to be so deep to still be a great song. For instance, Toby Keith's, I Love This Bar, is a great tune in my opinion.Ahhh...here is another of Toby Keiths that is very emotional/patriotic:American SoldierI'm just trying to be a father,Raise a daughter and a son,Be a lover to their mother,Everything to everyone.Up and at 'em bright and early,I'm all in my business suit,Yeah, I'm dressed for success from my head down to my boots,I don't do it for money, there's still bills that I can't pay,I don't do it for the glory, I just do it anyway,Providing for our future's my responsibilityYeah I'm real good under pressure, being all that I can be,And I can't call in sick on Mondays when the weekends been too strong,I just work straight through the holidays,And sometimes all night long.You can bet that I stand ready when the wolf growls at the door,Hey, I'm solid, hey I'm steady, hey I'm true down to the core,And I will always do my duty, no matter what the price,I've counted up the cost, I know the sacrifice,Oh, and I don't want to die for you,But if dyin's asked of me,I'll bear that cross with an honor,'Cause freedom don't come free.I'm an american soldier, an american,Beside my brothers and my sisters I will proudly take a stand,When liberty's in jeopardy I will always do what's right,I'm out here on the front lines, sleep in peace tonight.American soldier, I'm an American,An American,An American Soldier.If that song doesn't give you chills you're dead. Of course reading the lyrics isn't as powerful as listening to the song.Chris "The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them"

Return to “Everything Else”