• In total there are 111 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 111 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

How did you learn of BookTalk?

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

How did you learn of BookTalk?

Unread post

How did you learn of BookTalk?Results (total votes = 86):Search engine (tell us what search term was used)&nbsp39 / 45.3%&nbsp Link on another site (please post the site)&nbsp28 / 32.6%&nbsp A friend told me about BookTalk (give details)&nbsp7 / 8.1%&nbsp Other (please explain)&nbsp12 / 14.0%&nbsp  "For Every Winner, There Are Dozens Of Losers. Odds Are You're One Of Them"
Jeremy1952
Kindle Fanatic

Re: How did you learn of BookTalk?

Unread post

Met Chris in a chat room If you make yourself really small, you can externalize virtually everything. Daniel Dennett, 1984
booper54

Unread post

I got it from a link on ebonmusings.org. GREAT site for freethinkers like us. I highly suggest looking around there. Here's the link I got the booktalk link off of: ebonmusings.org/resources.htmlMy favorite quote off that site:Quote:This, then, is the spirituality of an atheist. During clear, starry nights far from civilization, when I look up and up at the endless expanse and try to hold that entire vastness in my head, and discover anew that this is an impossible task - that is when I experience a genuine sense of awe. It is a breathtaking discovery every time to learn that the universe is a greater and more wonderful place than we imagine, or can imagine. The stars glowing like lanterns in the night, from ancient, swollen red giants to hot young blue suns. The misty stellar cradles of great nebulae. The unimaginably violent flares of supernovae that briefly outshine the entire rest of the cosmos combined. The spinning, flickering pulses of neutron stars and black holes that spew out jets of hot matter hundreds of light-years long. The headlong rush of the universal expansion and the stately revolutions of our own galaxy. The vast, cold, endless dark between stars. The many worlds scattered throughout the cosmos, at least one of which bears intelligent life that can trace its own beginnings all the way back to the Big Bang and the first emergence of self-replicating molecules from the primordial sea of the young Earth. When I contemplate these things, this is when I experience a sense of wonder. We are stardust, part of the cosmos that is our home. We are, in a sense, the universe examining itself. From our humble beginnings on this unassuming blue and green ball orbiting an ordinary yellow main-sequence star, our examination has peered across the light-years and back through the eons to unravel the very beginnings of time and space themselves, and along the way has seen enough beauty to pain the heart. The universe was not put here for us; our primeval terror at its vastness more than serves to show this. But we can appreciate it nonetheless, and to do so is both an uplifting and humbling experience, one that dwarfs us even as it touches and elevates us beyond measure.Source: ebonmusings.org/atheism/palebluedot.html Brandon Edited by: booper54 at: 8/15/04 2:06 am
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Unread post

Google search for michael Shermer info.I do not remember the exact search string I used.I find that when I type the titles of our book selections into google, booktalk is usually in the top 20-30 listings.Mr. P. The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.I came to get down, I came to get down. So get out ya seat and jump around - House of Pain
bobbi

Unread post

I met Chris at an Atheist's Meetup and he told the group about BookTalk. (And I'm glad he did)Bobbi
ZachSylvanus
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

Unread post

Cheryl invited me to the site back in August of 2001. I had known a few people (including Chris) from another message board previous to that.
wrkelly
Almost Comfortable
United States of America

Unread post

searched on "book club non-fiction online". It was about 4 or 5 pages into the results though. Turned up alot of local book clubs that read Danielle Steele (sp?) and other ... things. Also turned up Oprah's book club, which as far as I could tell also reads pretty fluffy stuff (I'm being kind here).
CSflim

Unread post

A link from nobeliefs.comhttp://www.nobeliefs.com/links.htm ___________________Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?-Douglas Adams, Last Chance To See
pctacitus

Unread post

I was searching for Howard Bloom on Google.
RickU

Unread post

Met Chris in Yahoo chat. In Vino Veritas

Return to “Everything Else”