• In total there are 51 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 51 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

Hellooo!

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
wilde
Kindle Fanatic

Hellooo!

Unread post

Um, I'm Kait. I'm 17 and from Ohio... I have a bunch of cats and my favorite authors are oscar wilde (duh) and jose saramago. :)

I like (post) apocalyptic fiction, sci fi, historical fiction (especially civil war and 1950's)... I also read comics, but usually only in TPB form. :P

....So yes, I am a total geek.
Big bright accent, catty smile
Oscar Wilde confrontation
Ah, live like it's the style.

Shelfari!
jkircher
Getting Comfortable

Re: Hellooo!

Unread post

Oh my god, Wilde, is 1950's 'historical' already? Boy that makes me feel old since I lived the historical 1950's LOL
wilde
Kindle Fanatic

Unread post

Yeah, I think anything 50+ years is historical fiction now. So I guess the 60's are next. :o

Shelfari!
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

Hellooo and welcome Wilde:

Is your user name related to the fact that Oscar is your favorite writer?

I didn't realize that there was a set in stone time frame for historical fiction. The word historical makes people think of age. Don Delillo's "Libra" would be in the genre of historical fiction and it takes place in the 60's. It's about JFK and Lee Harvey Oswald. Does historical fiction rely on the decade, or the events?
wilde
Kindle Fanatic

Unread post

Suzanne wrote:Hellooo and welcome Wilde:

Is your user name related to the fact that Oscar is your favorite writer?

I didn't realize that there was a set in stone time frame for historical fiction. The word historical makes people think of age. Don Delillo's "Libra" would be in the genre of historical fiction and it takes place in the 60's. It's about JFK and Lee Harvey Oswald. Does historical fiction rely on the decade, or the events?

Hmm, I'm not sure. Historical fiction is really hard to define, I just imagined it as 50+ years. I read a book that took place in the 60's, and it was somewhat horror, somewhat historical fiction. I think as long it takes place during some major event in history, then it's historical fiction, but I don't know of any historical fiction that took place in the 80's or 90's..

and for your first question, yes. :)

Shelfari!
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Welcome to BookTalk.org, Kait. :)

I have a feeling that you consider 50+ year old books to be historical because of your age. It's all relative. I'm 41 years old now and I'd not want to consider books written about a time period any where near my birth year to be historical.

Getting older sucks. :?
jkircher
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Chris, my son is 41 :lol: And getting older doesn't really 'suck' it just means getting more knowledgeable, more experienced, and having had more fun on this earth.

But, yes - quite frankly unless one is going to go to the last turn of the century - and I am talking about the beginning of 1900 - not 2000 - it is not 'historical' to me since I was born in 1942. Maybe - just maybe - I will consider WWI 'historical' but thats even stretching the point, the world depression and WWII and anything thereafter is definately not 'historical' in my lexicon.

But as I said my son is 42, my daugher 37, and grand daughters ranging from 20 to 19 months - and I'm sure all or most of these individuals would consider WWII, at the least, 'historical.' Hence I agree with you - relative to one's age.

And, by the way, if one likes historical American books, do not miss the authors Ambrose and McCullough - they humanize history while keeping it factual.
Kevin
Pulitzer Prize Finalist

Unread post

Hello. How many cats do you have? I have three. post-apocalyptic is a good way to describe them.
The question is not, Can they reason? nor, Can they talk? but, Can they suffer? - Jeremy Bentham
jkircher
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I have no cats - zero, zilch - and never have had a cat in my life. I was a big time beagle fan and have had several beagles - in fact every year of my life from about 22 to 65, I have had one and even 3 beagles in my home. But, my husband and I travel alot now and my son was stuck with taking care of our dogs - and he has a home and family to care for. So when we finally had to put down the two boys - beagle brothers - who became terminal ill in about 2 months time - we did not get any more animals. Maybe sometime later in my life I will do another dog.
wilde
Kindle Fanatic

Unread post

Kevin wrote:Hello. How many cats do you have? I have three. post-apocalyptic is a good way to describe them.

I have 5 cats, 4 of them are brothers, but from 2 separate litters. The fifth is a stray, so I'm lucky that I got them all for free. They're all also named after the Seven Dwarves (Dwarfs?). They're all.. well, not very bright, to say the least LOL.

Shelfari!

Return to “Everything Else”