• In total there are 33 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 32 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Saffron

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I can has reading?
United States of America

Unread post

I've been looking at Suzanne's avatar since she came aboard. I knew I'd seen the painting before, but got stuck on "The Lady of Shalott", making it difficult for me to find it. Finally, yesterday I stumbled upon it -- "Ophelia" by John William Waterhouse. I am a fan of art nouveau and should have known it.

It is a lovely image and can guess why Suzanne selected it. How about you? Why did you choose the avatar that represents you on BT?
Saffron

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I can has reading?
United States of America

Re: Avatars

Unread post

Me? I change mine ever so often. I can't seem to stay with any one thing -- one reason a tattoo is not in my future. Right now I've got a paper boat on the ocean -- that is about what I've been feeling like these past few weeks.
bleachededen

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Finds books under furniture

Unread post

Mine is a picture of Dakota Blue Richards as Lyra in The Golden Compass, with my words Photoshopped over her.

It was originally a homemade "piece of flair" for MySpace, but it has become my default avatar on online forums/communities. Even though the picture is from the film and not the books which made me deem her my hero, she looks the part and is the face I see when I read or even just think of the character. More than any person, real or fictional (other than Joan of Arc), Lyra truly is my hero.
Last edited by bleachededen on Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Saffron

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I can has reading?
United States of America

Unread post

bleachededen wrote:Mine is a picture of Dakota Blue Richardson as Lyra in The Golden Compass, with my words Photoshopped over her.
Lyra truly is my hero.
The Golden Compass is one of my favorite books to read and Lyra is a wonderful strong female character.
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

Saffron wrote:
bleachededen wrote:Mine is a picture of Dakota Blue Richardson as Lyra in The Golden Compass, with my words Photoshopped over her.
Lyra truly is my hero.
The Golden Compass is one of my favorite books to read and Lyra is a wonderful strong female character.
Believe it or not, I just read this book myself and I would have to agree with you about the Lyra character. The book ends sort of strangely, but I liked it.

Oh and my avatar is a painting in a video game called The Dark Eye which revolves around several edgar Poe stories.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Eye_(video_game)
-Geo
Question everything
oblivion

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Likes the book better than the movie

Unread post

Yes, I did. Autumn is my favorite time of the year; I love (almost) anything Japanese and I like the idea of non-permanence--the transcience-- in life. That which is fresh and new is not the only bearer of beauty.
Gods and spirits are parasitic--Pascal Boyer

Religion is the only force in the world that lets a person have his prejudice or hatred and feel good about it --S C Hitchcock

Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it. --André Gide

Reading is a majority skill but a minority art. --Julian Barnes
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

oblivion wrote:Yes, I did. Autumn is my favorite time of the year; I love (almost) anything Japanese and I like the idea of non-permanence--the transcience-- in life. That which is fresh and new is not the only bearer of beauty.
So, you must like Keats' "To Autumn."
Saffron

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I can has reading?
United States of America

Unread post

geo wrote: Believe it or not, I just read this book myself and I would have to agree with you about the Lyra character. The book ends sort of strangely, but I liked it.
It does end strangely, there are 2 more books that follow The Golden Compass. They are okay and even wonderful at points, but I think Philip Pullman goes all sorts of wrong with his story. It get too muddy.
Oh and my avatar is a painting in a video game called The Dark Eye which revolves around several edgar Poe stories.
Of all the people who could have responded, Geo, yours is the avatar I have most wondered about. It gives me the creeps and now I know why. So, glad you posted.
Saffron

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I can has reading?
United States of America

Unread post

DWill wrote:
oblivion wrote:Yes, I did. Autumn is my favorite time of the year; I love (almost) anything Japanese and I like the idea of non-permanence--the transcience-- in life. That which is fresh and new is not the only bearer of beauty.
So, you must like Keats' "To Autumn."
Why the moon for you? I know what you think of the zodiac, but did you know that the moon is the ruling body for cancer?
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

Saffron wrote: Why the moon for you? I know what you think of the zodiac, but did you know that the moon is the ruling body for cancer?
It's kinda uncomfortable not to have a snappy reason for liking this big round rock.... but I'm not coming up with one as I think about it...must be losing my "English major's" touch :shock:

Return to “Everything Else”