• In total there are 85 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 84 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

How do you arrange your bookshelf?

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
bleachededen

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Finds books under furniture

How do you arrange your bookshelf?

Unread post

I'm curious to see how other book lovers arrange their books. Do you go alphabetically across the board, mixing all genres together? Or do you separate by genre and then alphabetize? Or do you not alphabetize at all and go by favorite authors or themes?

Right now, I have mine separated by genre but not alphabetized in any way. Instead, they are arranged according to height and width and how they appeal visually to the eye. Heavier books like my thesaurus and rhyming dictionary (yes, I own a rhyming dictionary, my poetry major is showing yet again :-P) are on the bottom with Harry Potter and some psychology books, the next shelf up is for poetry anthologies and then smaller collections of poetry from single authors, then a stuffed hedgehog and the LSAT study guides (I thought, for a short while, of applying to law school), and the third shelf is for fiction from older eras that I've already read for class or for pleasure with a stuffed monkey on top, the next level up is for my favorite sci-fi books and books I have yet to read. The top shelf, at the moment, has a box full of my late great-grandmother's recipes, a prayer book that I saved from being discarded from my synagogue, a picture of my great-grandmother, grandmother, mother and me (4 generations of women, I call it), and Russian nesting dolls with a Little Red Riding Hood theme.

All around these books are little green army men, a set of Winnie the Pooh toys my boyfriend bought me, and pictures of me and my boyfriend and me and my best friend. With my new book acquisitions, however, I'm going to have to move some things around and possibly sacrifice some cute weirdness for more space for books.

Another question I could then pose to you, in addition to how you arrange your own bookshelves, how do you think I should rearrange mine? Any suggestions? :mrgreen:
caseyjo
The Great Gabsby

Re: How do you arrange your bookshelf?

Unread post

Mine are organized thematically, mostly clustered based on things I have a lot of. I've got a section of cognitive science books, then specific sciences that aren't cognitive, then general science and history/biography/philosophy. Then I've got my non-fiction books that don't fit into those categories. The fiction books are grouped mostly chronologically, within important themes (early modern drama, metaphysical poetry, romantic poetry, russian lit, etc). The modern stuff is by genre (Sci-Fi, historical fiction, thriller/mystery, romance). I try to rid myself of the complete fluff. Right now, the books are totally all over the place, but I should be getting a new bookcase to hold them all in the near future.

I think you should organize them so that they make sense to you. Oh yeah, and getting rid of the books you don't like/need (like the LSAT books) will make your shelf much more appealing to you.
bleachededen

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Actually, I don't mind having the LSAT books in there, even if they are an eyesore and take up space. I like looking at it and remembering, occasionally, that I am smart and capable enough to have taken that test and possibly done really well. It sort of reminds me that I can still do something with my future, even if it's not law school, but the law books do serve as a good reminder. If that makes sense.

There are some psychology workbooks and such that I wouldn't mind finding a new space for, though.
caseyjo
The Great Gabsby

Unread post

bleachededen wrote:Actually, I don't mind having the LSAT books in there, even if they are an eyesore and take up space. I like looking at it and remembering, occasionally, that I am smart and capable enough to have taken that test and possibly done really well. It sort of reminds me that I can still do something with my future, even if it's not law school, but the law books do serve as a good reminder.
Ah, that does make perfect sense. I guess I'm just remembering my old GRE books, which I got rid of right after I took the test. As soon as I was done, I never wanted to think about learning arcane vocabulary words ever again :)

I don't know if you've seen this before, but apparently some people like to organize their books by color. Sure looks pretty, but then again I don't think I'd be able to find anything.
bleachededen

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Wow, that does look nice. None of my books are really that uniform in color, though, so I don't think it would work.

I like arcane vocabulary words, lol. I love pretty much anything to do with language (vocabulary, spelling, and grammar included). It's math I can't stand. :-P
missyannlala
Book Nut

Unread post

I just put books wherever there's an open space.
give me the rainbow!
bleachededen

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

missyannlala wrote:I just put books wherever there's an open space.
Excellent plan! Simple, yet effective!

I think you've got us all beat. :lol:
missyannlala
Book Nut

Unread post

Well, I like the feel of just glancing anywhere on my shelf and being surprised about what my glances land on. It's just a pleasant surprise throughout my day.
give me the rainbow!
caseyjo
The Great Gabsby

Unread post

bleachededen wrote:Wow, that does look nice. None of my books are really that uniform in color, though, so I don't think it would work.

I like arcane vocabulary words, lol. I love pretty much anything to do with language (vocabulary, spelling, and grammar included). It's math I can't stand. :-P
It wouldn't work for me either, I feel like all my spines are black. Funny, I hate the vocab words, but love the math!
missyannlala wrote:Well, I like the feel of just glancing anywhere on my shelf and being surprised about what my glances land on. It's just a pleasant surprise throughout my day.
I never thought about it that way, but that makes sense.
FuzzBunny
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I try to keep books of the same genre together and then books in the same series together, but after that it is random. At times areas get stuffed full and I will put a book wherever there is a spot until I have time to re-organize.

Return to “Everything Else”