• In total there are 40 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 40 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1000 on Sun Jun 30, 2024 12:23 am

The Other Bolyn Girl

Share your current reading list, your impressions of the books, and whether you'd recommend them to fellow community members. Authors, please do NOT post in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
jendorf44
Official Newbie!

The Other Bolyn Girl

Unread post

I had not read any historical fiction and am absolutely in love with the book. I think I may try some other books from this genre and time period.
caseyjo
The Great Gabsby

Re: The Other Bolyn Girl

Unread post

I read this a couple years ago, and found it to be both tawdry and fun. The Tudors are clearly pretty crazy. If you're looking for more good historical fiction, I really liked Abundance, which is a novel about Marie Antoinette.
wilde
Kindle Fanatic

Unread post

I like this book, but my favorite book by that author (Philippa Gregory) is definitely "Fallen Skies." :)
Big bright accent, catty smile
Oscar Wilde confrontation
Ah, live like it's the style.

Shelfari!
caseyjo
The Great Gabsby

Unread post

wilde wrote:I like this book, but my favorite book by that author (Philippa Gregory) is definitely "Fallen Skies." :)
That looks really interesting! Thanks for recommending it, I've just put that on my (far too long already) to read list.
jendorf44
Official Newbie!

Unread post

Thank you, I am going to have to add both of those books to my (far too long already also) list.
farmgirlshelley
Intern

Unread post

I loved the movie so I will have to check the book out too. I love this anything in this time period! :D
A woman is like a tea bag- you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water.
Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.
millamonkey

Unread post

Try 'Restoration' by Rose Tremain, one of my favourite authors. A different time period in British history but it captivates, too. (She also wrote music and silence which is also a really good read)
Khogg
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I read this book and this is the book that got me hooked on historical fiction! I loved it! Another good book is the one after this, The Bolyn Inheritance, it keeps the story going through the rest of Henry's wives. I didn't like it nearly as much as The Other Bolyn Girl but it was still extremly good.
kcdaisley
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Jean Plaidy also wrote quite a few novels set in this period - Katherine of Aragon (Anne Boleyn's direct rival as Henry VIII's first wife) and the other five wives. They're wonderful (if sad) reading.
kcd
anthem1
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

This is definitely one of my all-time favorite pieces of historical fiction. I discovered historical fiction by Jean Plaidy, but my personal favorite author in this genre is Margaret George. (During some research, I discovered Jean Plaidy is a pen name for Victoria Holt whom writes gothic romance.) George wrote a book about Henry VIII, but I haven't read that one. I loved her novels Cleopatra and Mary, Queen of Scots. They are excellent and I totally recommend them

Return to “What are you currently reading?”