• In total there are 12 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 12 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

Generation Kill

Authors are invited and encouraged to showcase their NON-FICTION books exclusively within this forum.
MtGrizzly
Getting Comfortable

Generation Kill

Unread post

Greetings to all -

I am new here, this is my first post after my introduction.

I would like to discuss Generation Kill with anyone who has read it. If you haven't read it, excuse me if this review contains spoilers...

It is hard to say that any book about a war is the 'seminal' work about a war, particularly when that war is still ongoing. However, to date, I would say that this book is one of the most important that has come out of the war in Iraq. It was written by Evan Wright, a journalist who was embedded with Bravo company of the 1st reconnaissance, ("force recon" Marines are the special forces of the Marine Corp), of the 1st Marine division during its march through Iraq in the first days of the war.

The book is, as they say, "Gritty." It puts you there, right in the humvee with the recon Marines who fought from Camp Mathilda in Kuwait to Baghdad. Their trials, privations, thoughts, emotional coping mechanisms and their frustrations. It portrays each man as a person, individually, and in the context of the hornets nest of politics that plagues every large organization.

The book is well written, with a high degree of authenticity and a real sense of humor that lifts it above most books written about war. This book is not about the politics of this war. It does not seek to glorify war in any way, yet it is not anti-war. It is clear these men are warriors in the purest sense of the word. Professionals who were sent out to do a job, which they did, no matter how frustrated they were with their officers, the lack of basic equipment, supply, food and the horrendous situations they find themselves in.

At great deal of background is given on all the soldiers fighting from the Humvee commanded by team leader Brad "Ice Man" Colbert, around which the story flows. Enlisted men from other teams are featured during different parts of the story, without the author giving as much background on them. The officers come in and out of the story and are largely portrayed as clueless, particularly "Encino Man" who commands Bravo company and "Captain America" who commands Platoon 3 of Bravo Company.

Some of the book's critics complain that the book gives a biased view of the officers in the company. That it portrays them in a negative light. One I read said that there was no possible way that the officers would be as "stupid" as they were portrayed. I can't agree with this assessment. The officers were not the central focus of this book. They were employed as foils to move the book along, people who tell the enlisted where they are going, what to do when they get there and that they have to make do with far fewer supplies than they really need. The portrayal of the officers also shows what the enlisted Marines were up against in the chain of command. The enlisted men are portrayed as men who do not blindly follow orders, but who have legitimate concerns and questions about what they are doing. The officers react to this change in the attitude of the enlisted Marines. Some appreciate the situation as brought to them, (particularly Lt. Col. "Godfather" Ferrando. commander of 1st recon), and others have to be forced to see reality - such as: don't call artillery down on a target that is 200 meters in front of your own troops or fire an AK47 at random targets resulting confusion about who is doing what.

Overall, this was a great book. The HBO 7 part mini-series was also very well done and captures most of the highlights of the book. I wouldn't settle for just watching the HBO series as the book has much greater depth. Compared to the motion pictures and TV series that are out there and gaining popularity, (Hurt Locker, Over There, etc), the book is magnitudes of order better. If you really want to know what it is like to be 'grunt' on the ground in America's overlong war in Iraq, this is the book to read.

I am not in anyway connected with anyone who has a pecuniary interest in this book.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: Generation Kill

Unread post

I'm going to look for this series on HBO right now. The book sounds good and I appreciate the suggestion. I'd like to check out the cable show before getting the book.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

The show is not on HBO On Demand unfortunately.
MtGrizzly
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Chris OConnor wrote:The show is not on HBO On Demand unfortunately.
The series is available through Netflix and can be purchased from HBO for around $30.

However, I would read the book, first...

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!”