• In total there are 32 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 31 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1000 on Sun Jun 30, 2024 12:23 am

Sorry Ladies

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Joad
Permanent Ink Finger

Sorry Ladies

Unread post

I know this is going to get me in trouble, but I'm a glutton for punishment. Before I go any further, let me state for the record, I love women, and while what I'm about to say is going to make me look like a chauvinistic slob -- all I can do is assure you that I'm not, and beg forgiveness from all the female posters that read this.

Other than Flannery O'Conner, Barbara Ehrenreich (SP?) and.... well, those two at least, I can't stand women authors. I'm not trolling, and as I said, I love women, but most of their writing is painful to me. :blush: I go to the bookstore, I try to look for female authors -- I've completely given up on women that write fiction they are just a lost cause -- to read but everything I see looks like drivel. Every book looks the same, there is some lush, rolling green meadow on the cover with the solitary woman standing in the middle, maybe there is a horse or a quaint village in the distance and the story is always about some sisters rekindling their sordid past together on some spiritual journey... It's not that I don't think women can't craft a great sentence, I just think the things they think make a great story is painfully droll, at least to me. I've had this debate with some of the women I work with at the bookstore, and they've all crucified me and promised to find me a women author that is worth reading... Well, needless to say I'm still waiting. Seriously, go to any bookstore and go to the new release section and peruse the books by women authors -- all of them are exactly what I described...

I'm sure there are others out there, I haven't read Naomi Klein's "Shock Doctrine" yet, but she seems incredibly smart and I'm looking forward to it and of course there is Harper Lee -- while To Kill a Mockingbird is one of the greatest books ever written, that's her only book. It's not like she has an extensive library to skim through. But for every Naomi Klein, Flannery O'Conner there are hundreds of the lady that writes the Sookie Stackhouse novels, or the Twilight books.

I wonder what other people think. Can you recommend a woman author that is worth reading? Laura Ingles Wilder, maybe? As I said, I love women... If I was around in the 20s I would have been a suffragist, I just don't think you should be allowed to write or be allowed near a bookstore.... That last part was a joke....

Alright, let the crucifixion begin...
"Those whom the Gods wish to destroy, they first make mad." -- P. H. Fawcett
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Re: Sorry Ladies

Unread post

For the most part, I agree with you, my favorite authors are men. But, there are a few women who can stop painting their toe nails long enough to write a good book once in a while.

Have you read anything by Margaret Atwood, or Annie Proulx, or Doris Lessing?
Joad
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

Well, it's good to know I'm not alone.

I have read some Atwood -- The Handmaiden's Tale -- back in college for a female lit class. I can't remember if I liked it or not. Maybe I should go back and read that one again.

A perfect example is the book "War" by Sebastian Junger and "They Fought for Each Other" by Kelly Kennedy; two books based on almost identical topics -- a platoon of soldiers in the Middle East.

Junger's book starts with the platoon flying into a hot LZ and being mortared by the Taliban. This is bad ass.

Kenndy's book starts with the soldiers hugging each other and wondering when the next time they would see each other and how bad they would miss each other. :? Really, you're going to start a book about war and all the incredible and horrible things that happen in war, with hugs? I guess there is something to say for dichotomy... I'm not saying soldiers shouldn't miss each other and they don't share an incredible bond, but I personally don't find it as interesting as what they go through....

Thanks for understanding... Thank God I'm not alone....
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

Oh my God, Joad. Thanks for your opinion, but stop looking at the recent books. Do the contemporary male authors really come out so much better? I'm not the one to reel off the best current female writers, but I do read the reviews in a few quality publications, and those reviews of novels by women don't sound like the cookie-cutter romances or relationship books that you're complaining about. Anyway, Iris Murdoch I think is great, both deep and entertaining, and Alice Munro, who sticks mostly to the short story form, is acknowledged as a master. How about Joyce Carol Oates? Been around a long time and always original despite having just a slew of titles.
Joad
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

I've tried Joyce Carol Oates -- the book about the ghost stories, I cant' think of the title off the top of my head. I finished it, but it didn't blow my mind.

Do contemporary male authors fare better? I think they do. Just my opinion. Caleb Carr's two books "The Alienist" and "Angel of Darkness" are both interesting and well written books, "No Country for Old Men" was phenomenal and one of the best books of the last 10 years, "Moriarty" by John Gardner was fantastic, Dennis Lehane's stuff is great... I just can't think of a female author that gets my blood going like Cormac McCarthy, Hunter Thompson, Steinbeck...

I tried reading PD James' "Children of Men" but I think it made me infertile....

I respect the ladies, I just wish I could find one that could write a book that could hold my attention...
wilde
Kindle Fanatic

Unread post

Not even Rowling? :(

And I love Children of Men, but haven't read anything else by P.D. James. Can't get into Oates though.
Big bright accent, catty smile
Oscar Wilde confrontation
Ah, live like it's the style.

Shelfari!
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

DWill wrote:Anyway, Iris Murdoch I think is great, both deep and entertaining,
Oh I forgot about her. Yes she is great, I've always liked her books, try "The Black Prince".
Joad wrote:I have read some Atwood -- The Handmaiden's Tale -- back in college for a female lit class. I can't remember if I liked it or not. Maybe I should go back and read that one again.
Na, try "The Blind Assassin"
wilde
Kindle Fanatic

Unread post

Her new novel "Year of the Flood" is pretty good too.
Big bright accent, catty smile
Oscar Wilde confrontation
Ah, live like it's the style.

Shelfari!
bleachededen

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Finds books under furniture

Unread post

Joad wrote:I can't stand women authors. ...I've completely given up on women that write fiction they are just a lost cause...
The sentence I bolded is just plain mean. Do you have any idea how many female authors there are, and how many fiction books they've written? You would have to read at least one book from every author to be able to make a claim like that, and that's at the very least. So narrow-minded! There are plenty of horrible books written by men, too, but you don't write them off entirely as a gender just because you don't like certain books written by some men.

Why are you writing off all female writers just because you haven't read books in that classification that suited you? Sure, a lot of literature written by women is cheesy and tedious drivel, but that's only the mainstream popular crap that people who don't really care about literature read. I personally hate Jane Austen and won't touch Danielle Steele with a 10 meter cattle prod, but I don't write them off because they're women, I write them off because they're bad writers. There are plenty of male writers I hate, but I don't not read books by men. I hate J.D. Salinger, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Nicolas Sparks, Thomas Hardy, John Donne, Stephen King, Herman Melville, Bram Stoker, Michael Crichton, John Steinbeck, Cervantes, James Fenimore Cooper, Emerson, Wordsworth, Coleridge, Yeats, Keats, Percy Shelley, etc. etc., but that doesn't mean I hate all male writers just because they're male! Chances are, the suggestions you're getting when you ask someone for a book written by a female are all very similar in style and genre and are leading you toward literature by women that even discerning female readers don't read. Let me point out a list of innovative and brilliant women whose works deserve a chance to be read before you give up on them just because of the genitalia they were born with.

Mary Shelley: Frankenstein: or, The Modern Prometheus
I doubt you'll find lush, rolling meadows and a woman's spiritual journey here. What you will find is a monster hated by his creator, who yearns only for love and finds hatred and destruction that come from his very form, and the very real question of how far should science go, what makes a "man" (what makes a human), and what makes a monster, and other very deep, thought-provoking, ungirlie topics that trump many other science-fiction books I've read that were written by men. If you have a problem with the language, you can blame that on the period and not the woman; if you read her husband's writing they would sound very similar. There's one for you.
On Amazon: amazon.com/Frankenstein-Case-Studies-Co ... amp;sr=1-1

Margaret Atwood: The Handmaid's Tale
Here you'll find a story about a society that has stripped women of their citizenship, their civil rights, their human rights, and even their right to their own names, so that if they are not married to someone important or are dissenters of the right wing religious fascist government, they are put to work as handmaids to barren women of wealth who will then raise that child as if it were her own, treating the handmaid like a dog (or even less than) and having them hanged if they disobey or even if they simply cannot reproduce, and the safest, most free job in the entire society is to be a stripper/hooker at private mens' clubs, where you are drugged and drunk and raped but at least you're alive and can have some sense of yourself. No woman wins in this society. The handmaids' lives are the worst of all, but the rich wives are unloved and hated by their husbands and have to pretend that is not the case, and even men who do not agree are hunted and killed "for the greater good." No bathroom gossip story here, either.
On Amazon: amazon.com/Handmaids-Tale-Everymans-Lib ... amp;sr=1-1

Olive Schreiner: The Story of an African Farm
This story chronicles the life of a young man working on a farm where a woman raises her sister's children and runs a farm on her own, and his childhood spent learning and playing with the young girls, one of whom he grows up to fall in love with. When Waldo, the young man, goes out into the world, he is a hard worker but continues to pine for the girl he once loved on the farm who was too headstrong and idealistic for her aunt and ran away at a young age, and when Waldo finally does catch up with her, she is sickly and dying, all the energy and sparkle her youth once held deflated by the cruel reality of life, as do many other characters in the novel, and the only character who "survives" in the literal and emotional sense of the word is the cruel aunt who runs the no-nonsense, no daydreaming farm, arguing the point that in order to survive, we must surrender our ambitions and our dreams, or else succumb to the despair of never seeing them through, and there is a great big "Why?" at the end of the book, "why are we here," "is there a God," "why must it be this way?" Again, I doubt you'll see this in a Redbook "List of good female books to read" list.
On Amazon: amazon.com/Story-African-Farm-Olive-Sch ... amp;sr=1-1

Willa Cather: My Antonia
This is one of my all time favorite reads, even though it's not in a category I necessarily read from too often. This story follows a young man who moves to his remote family's farm in the country, and at first has a hard time getting used to living so isolated and with no one to talk to, but he makes friends with the daughter of an immigrant, Antonia, and they spend many years together playing in the fields and making new discoveries and generally having fun. Eventually, the narrator grows up and goes off to boarding school and then college, and although he has girlfriends there, his real love is Antonia, but when he finally goes back to the farm where he grew up to see her, she is older, and looks even older than she is because she has a family of her own and has taken over for her father and thus works very hard, and although she is still young, her soul and body are old, and she is not the woman the narrator loved and so he cannot face her, and so, disillusioned, he lives out the rest of his life without her, remembering her not as who she has become, but who she was when he first knew and fell in love with her. Another lovely story about how disenchanting life can be. I'm sure you can find this in any salon across the country. It's a must read for soccer moms.
On Amazon: amazon.com/My-Antonia-Willa-Cather/dp/1 ... amp;sr=1-5

Louise Erdrich: Tracks
This book is very innovative in its narrative form because the story is told by two separate narrators, one whom, as we continue to read, we learn may not necessarily be trustworthy, which also casts doubts on the other. The story is about a native American tribe in the early stages of being forced to either accept the White Man's ways or find somewhere else to live, and while the Shaman of the tribe, Nanapush, acts as one narrator, giving the reader the history of the tribe and defiance to the forced integration and disgust at his brethren who change their ways to make life easier. The second narrator is a young woman of the tribe who desperately wants to be "white," and takes the English name "Pauline," and goes to a nunnery to become a Christian and become 100% "white," which it is obvious she can never be, because she cannot escape her history. In the end, Pauline cannot escape her heritage, and Nanapush cannot escape his debt and inevitable "surrender" to the "white man." As Jim Morrison said in the song "Five to One," which, as all of his music, was heavily influenced by his obsession with native American culture, "No one here gets out alive." I'd call that a fairly fitting statement for the message in Tracks. I also have a paper written on the effect of the dual narrators in this book, if you read the book and are inclined to see my thoughts. Again, I can't really see someone reading this mid pedicure, so perhaps you're just looking in the wrong places.
On Amazon: amazon.com/Tracks-Louise-Erdrich/dp/B00 ... amp;sr=1-1

Ursula K. LeGuin: The Left Hand of Darkness
This was an official BookTalk discussion in January-February of this year, which I participated in gladly when I first joined, because I had read the book a few months back, and reading it (among some others) was one of the reasons that prompted me to find a place like BookTalk. This book provides us a story of an alien named Ai alone on the planet Winter, trying to persuade the native people, the Gethens, to join an intergalactic alliance that reaches over hundreds of galaxies. The Gethens are gender neutral unless they are in their sexual/reproductive state known as "kemmer," and each Gethen contains both male and female attributes, and no one gender is seen as being more important to the other. Ai, being an outsider, is stared at, mistrusted, and even hated because he is not gender neutral and therefore always "in kemmer," and this makes the Gethens uncomfortable to say the least. The Gethens also have a system of polite customs known as Shrifgethor, which makes it difficult to speak to them openly, because even one gesture can offend the officials Ai is trying to convince to ally with him to sentence him to death, and one Gethen in particular tries to help him but does so in a way that Ai does not understand until it is too late, because the Gethen doesn't realize that Ai has no Shrifgethor and wouldn't be insulted by direct advice/help. This Gethen ends up risking and giving his life for Ai, because he desperately believes in what Ai is trying to do, and their journey together through prison and uninhabitable mountains becomes a bonding experience equal to any such story written by a man, and says far more about gender and sex than do most textbooks on the subject. I think this book may appeal to you, because it is so very different from any other book on this list, or on any list you could think of. Another one I doubt you'd find in the chick lit section.
On Amazon: amazon.com/Left-Hand-Darkness-Ursula-Gu ... amp;sr=1-1
The BookTalk discussion: booktalk.org/the-left-hand-of-darkness- ... -f141.html

I think another mistake you're making is to go straight to the "new releases" section of a bookstore expecting to find meaningful literature written by anyone, male or female. Some of the best books are older, and while new authors are definitely writing great works, not everything you see in a display advertising "Just in" is also "really good." Bookstores get money from publishers, and those publishers and bookstores care more about what sells than what is good, so what you're really seeing when you buy a book from a "new releases" table that isn't from an already recognizable author is a display of books the publisher thinks will rapidly sell numerous copies, and the deeper literature written by women that you're desperately seeking is unlikely to be a part of that display. I hate to say it, but it's true. Chick lit sucks, but it sells. Twilight sucks, but it sells. Romance novels suck, but they sell. You have to push past the "displays" and into the real meat of the fiction section to find something that you can really sink your teeth into and not toss away as fluff and nonsense, even with male authors. You may be less picky about male authors because their default is usually adventure or crime stories, and almost everyone would accept reading that over chick lit, but that's doing a disservice to female authors because it's making people like you think that women aren't capable of writing a story worth reading.

Next time you're in the bookstore, push past the displays and "just in" sections of the store, and look for books in the section you want to read from, be it fiction, science fiction, what have you. Don't pay attention to the author's name or the picture on the cover, pay attention to the plot summary and review comments, then open the book up and read the first sentence or two, or from any part in the middle, just to get a feel for the writing style. If you don't like it, put it back. Don't go searching for books by women, go searching for books you want to read, and if what you want to read happens to be written by a woman, great! But if not, oh well. There are far too many books out there to be ruling them out by author's gender. Obviously if there is a genre you don't like you won't read it, but the author's name or gender should have nothing to do with whether or not you think it is a good book. I think this is your first problem, and once you jump over that hurdle it'll be easier for you to weed out the good from the bad of female authors.

I have many more examples if you aren't convinced. I could also write an entire forum on women's poetry, but as you mentioned fiction, I stuck to that. My main concern here is that you're assuming an author's gender dictates whether or not you should read it, and I hope I've given you some reasons and helpful ways to push past that, as well. Authors of both genders can write bad books, but you shouldn't give up reading books by either one based only on that. Hate the author for what they write, not what's in their underwear.

Good luck, and happy reading.
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
Australia

Unread post

bleachededen wrote:Ursula K. LeGuin: The Left Hand of Darkness
This was an official BookTalk discussion in January-February of this year, which I participated in gladly when I first joined, because I had read the book a few months back, and reading it (among some others) was one of the reasons that prompted me to find a place like BookTalk. This book provides us a story of an alien named Ai alone on the planet Winter, trying to persuade the native people, the Gethens, to join an intergalactic alliance that reaches over hundreds of galaxies. The Gethens are gender neutral unless they are in their sexual/reproductive state known as "kemmer," and each Gethen contains both male and female attributes, and no one gender is seen as being more important to the other. Ai, being an outsider, is stared at, mistrusted, and even hated because he is not gender neutral and therefore always "in kemmer," and this makes the Gethens uncomfortable to say the least. The Gethens also have a system of polite customs known as Shrifgethor, which makes it difficult to speak to them openly, because even one gesture can offend the officials Ai is trying to convince to ally with him to sentence him to death, and one Gethen in particular tries to help him but does so in a way that Ai does not understand until it is too late, because the Gethen doesn't realize that Ai has no Shrifgethor and wouldn't be insulted by direct advice/help. This Gethen ends up risking and giving his life for Ai, because he desperately believes in what Ai is trying to do, and their journey together through prison and uninhabitable mountains becomes a bonding experience equal to any such story written by a man, and says far more about gender and sex than do most textbooks on the subject. I think this book may appeal to you, because it is so very different from any other book on this list, or on any list you could think of. Another one I doubt you'd find in the chick lit section.
On Amazon: amazon.com/Left-Hand-Darkness-Ursula-Gu ... amp;sr=1-1
The BookTalk discussion: booktalk.org/the-left-hand-of-darkness- ... -f141.html
Yes, The Left Hand of Darkness, and The Earthsea Trilogy, create imaginative new worlds in which the interest resides primarily in character development and psychology. The way Le Guin imagines an enchanted world is evocative and compelling. I haven't seen such themes addressed so well by male authors.

Too often, books by men are carried by plot and ideas, without sufficient attention to relationships. Romance (as beloved by Cervantes) goes to the other extreme with relationships that have no originality of plot.

Return to “Everything Else”