• In total there are 49 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 48 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

Beneath a Marble Sky by John Shors - wanna read with me?

Authors are invited and encouraged to present their FICTION books solely within this forum.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Beneath a Marble Sky by John Shors - wanna read with me?

Unread post

Beneath a Marble Sky by John Shors - wanna read with me?Here is John Shors web site. Click around to the various links to see if this book is appealing to you. But I'm going to go ahead and copy and paste the entire first chapter right here in this thread. Read this and THEN decide if you will join me to discuss this book during 2nd quarter of 2006. I'd love to see 5 or 6 members participate! Edited by: Chris OConnor  at: 3/30/06 10:53 pm
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Re: Beneath a Marble Sky by John Shors - wanna read with me?

Unread post

IN the early days, when I was still an innocent girl, my father believed in perfection.Once, musing over his empire, contemplating the splendor he had created, he composed a poem. On the vaulted ceiling above his Peacock Throne he had an artist inscribe in gold, "If there is a paradise on the face of the Earth, it is this, it is this, it is this." Simple words from a simple man. But how true they were.Sunrise over the Yamuna River has often prompted me to think of Paradise. From the broad shoulders of the waterway I have cherished the sights before me as I might cherish the face of my lover. This morning's views are as inspiring as ever, especially after having been away in hiding for so long. To my right sprawls the magnificent Red Fort. Opposite, awash in the sun's blood, stands the Taj Mahal, neither soaring as a falcon might, nor cresting like the sea. Rather, the mausoleum arches upward, strong and noble, a gateway to the heavens. Knowing that the Taj Mahal was built for my mother is among my greatest joys, and my most profound sorrows.Today, I am not alone. My guardian, Nizam, patiently rows our boat across the Yamuna. Behind our craft's bow sit my two granddaughters, Gulbadan and Rurayya. No longer girls, each is a wondrous incarnation of my daughter. Looking at them, I think that time has moved too swiftly, that just yesterday I was stroking the soles of their diminutive, untested feet. My love for my granddaughters is even stronger now than it was then. When I see them I feel as if I'm moving forward into places harboring no regrets, no memories to remind me of my scars, those thick welts upon my mind and body.Gulbadan and Rurayya giggle, whispering as young women do
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Re: Beneath a Marble Sky by John Shors - wanna read with me?

Unread post

You have to admit that that is good stuff folks! So who wants to get a copy of the book and read and discuss this one? Please reply to this thread if you're interested.John Shors already said he would be happy to do a live chat, but this book is worth your time independent of whether or not we ever have that chat session.You can buy a copy through this link.

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book!”