• In total there are 55 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 55 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1000 on Sun Jun 30, 2024 12:23 am

Very late introducing myself

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
booklady
The Great Gabsby

Very late introducing myself

Unread post

Hello fellow readers! I have not yet explored this forum yet but I must say I am duly impressed by all the options, fantastic threads and other goodies offered here. This appears at first glance to be a PRIMO book forum and I have a wonderful feeling that I am going to love it here.

I am Booklady. A baby-boomer from the New England area of the U.S. I've been a life-long bookaholic - it runs in the family on both sides, including both sets of grand-parents - and enjoy most genres but there are a few I won't touch. It's not because I am a literary snob as I am the polar opposite of one of them. It's just that I don't enjoy and can't get into a few genres. The few that come to mind are Vampires, Zombies, Harry Potter type stuff, Futuristic and most but not all Sci-Fi.

I love Biographies, Historical Fiction, Mysteries (no cozies pls) and Oprah Book Club selections to name just a very small few. Regarding the latter, so far my favorite book from Oprah's club was A FINE BALANCE by Rohinton Mistry. (I don't know if you can give links to Amazon or B+N, etc. like other book forums allow posters to do) I read that book ages ago and I cannot stop talking about it. It totally blew me away. What an awesome book, IMHO, that it. Second place for me was Pillars of the Earth. Again, what a fabulous book. I still have quite a few ( A lot!) of her books to read. That is my reading goal. I don't want to rest until I've accomplished that. And if I am real lucky, then I can discuss them at length here with you guys. Oh, and one of my favorites authors is Nelson DeMille. I tap my foot all during the 2 year wait in between his books chomping at the bit. Heh, heh.

Time to shut up.

Re my late introduction:
My bad. I should know better having been a member of eleventy-eleven book forums, clubs and groups.

In my vast experience, only a small percentage actually do "introduce" themselves. Most members (approx. a good 80% of a forum's membership) just lurk and never post. Out of that 20%, a real small percentage of them post heavily.

Looking forward very, very much to getting to know you all, discover new authors, make friends and join in on lots of discussions. Don't know what UserGroups are yet but it sounds enticing to me. Open to any and all questions.

Have a great day!

Booklady
Booklady

A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination.
Nelson Mandela

I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman, "Where's the self-help section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.
George Carlin

“A classic is a book which people praise and don't read.”

"War doesn't determine who's right. War determines who's left."

"When I hear somebody sigh "Life is hard" I'm always tempted to ask "Compared to what?"

You never truely understand something until you can explain it to your grandmother. --Albert Einstein
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: Very late introducing myself

Unread post

Fantastic introduction! :)

This is my official welcome message to you, but you're already seeming like a regular around here. So welcome to BookTalk.org. You're fitting right in and we're all enjoying your input and participation.

You're quite right that few visitors ever join in the discussions. I think of it like an iceberg. Only a small portion of the iceberg actually shows itself above the surface of the water. The bulk of the iceberg lies hidden under the dark surface of the water. Our lurkers are welcome to lurk, if lurking is how they wish to enjoy BookTalk.org, but I do think it is wonderful when a lurker pops their head above the surface and says hi.
booklady
The Great Gabsby

Unread post

Thank you. {{blushing}}
Booklady

Nelson Mandela

I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman, "Where's the self-help section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.
George Carlin

"When I hear somebody sigh "Life is hard" I'm always tempted to ask "Compared to what?"

You never truely understand something until you can explain it to your grandmother. --Albert Einstein
froglipz

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Brilliant
United States of America

Unread post

So what part of New England? I hail from NH but lived or worked in almost all of em :)
~froglipz~

"I'm not insane, my mother had me tested"

Si vis pacem, para bellum: If you wish for peace, prepare for war.
booklady
The Great Gabsby

Unread post

Really? Either you're ready for the "geezer freezer" like me or you're a gypsie, heh.

Massachusetts. And yourself?
Booklady

Nelson Mandela

George Carlin

froglipz

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Brilliant
United States of America

Unread post

I lived in Gardner and Fitchburg MA before we moved out here to MN in '01. Worked in a few more MA places too.
~froglipz~

"I'm not insane, my mother had me tested"

Si vis pacem, para bellum: If you wish for peace, prepare for war.
Saffron

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I can has reading?
United States of America

Unread post

Chris OConnor wrote:Fantastic introduction! :)
ditto
booklady
The Great Gabsby

Unread post

Thank you Saffron.

I'm trying. Too hard I fear as I feel just awful about asking so many questions. {{looking ashamed}}
Booklady

Nelson Mandela

George Carlin

Saffron

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I can has reading?
United States of America

Unread post

booklady wrote:Thank you Saffron.

I'm trying. Too hard I fear as I feel just awful about asking so many questions. {{looking ashamed}}
Is there such a thing as too many questions? Say it isn't so! :lol:
booklady
The Great Gabsby

Unread post

Ha! :-)

Not for me, the eternally and chronically inquisitive Virgo. The day I stop asking questions means I am clinically brain-dead. As I've already posted, one of my reasons for reading so much is entertainment but the bigger and more prominent reason is the LOVE of learning new things. I try to learn a minimum of 1 new thing daily.

But, people being people, there are some who just either do not like to answer inquisitive types like me, those who want to but are pressed for time, those who know the answer but Never post, those who are turned off by types like me, yada, yada, yada.

In my defense, I post questions as a Last Resort, not an instant knee-jerk first reaction. I try to learn the solution or answer on my own. When I've exhausted all avenues obvious to my pinhead, only then do I feel free to ask why I believe is a legitimate question. One where I truly need to know the answer.

But I feel in my two weeks here I've already worn out my welcome and I have lots of unanswered and important questions. What to do? I'm too impatient to wait 6 months or 2 years to master BookTalk.Org. :-(
Booklady

Nelson Mandela

George Carlin

Return to “Everything Else”