• In total there are 74 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 72 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1000 on Sun Jun 30, 2024 12:23 am

The Life of Pi

Authors are invited and encouraged to present their FICTION books solely within this forum.
Eriksoln
Permanent Ink Finger

The Life of Pi

Unread post

The Life of Pi
Written by Yann Martel

I will be amazed if it has not been discussed already, and even more amazed if it has not at least been suggested before.

This book is wondrous in a number of ways. It touches in spirituality and a great many other topics that make the book personable. I would very much enjoy hearing what others think of it.
They say 90% of the game is half mental.
yamaf350
Getting Comfortable

Re: The Life of Pi

Unread post

I am crazy about this book! I loved the way the story was presented, too -- it was quite clever to use the old man in the cafe as a... sort of ambassador to the story. Just fantastic. I loved what the author had to say about the positive aspects of living in a zoo, also. I had never considered most of them. Did you find that Martel's descriptions as bright and real as I did?
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

Hello Eriksoln:

"The Life of Pi" has never been officially discussed here, but I do remember having a few conversations about it. It is a title that certainly comes up quite often, and I agree with you, it would make for a fantastic discussion.

It is a book that can be perceived in different ways, with each reader having their own impression of it. It affected me, I will never forget it, and I recommend it often. It is one of those books you could read several times and find something new in it each time.
Eriksoln wrote:It touches in spirituality and a great many other topics that make the book personable. I would very much enjoy hearing what others think of it.
I did not fully appreciate the spirituality aspect of the book until the second reading of it. The passages in the book where Pi is on the island, up in the tree is one part of the book that could be discussed for weeks. Like I said, I did not see the strong sense of spirituality in these passages until someone pointed it out to me, and because of this, I was able to read it in another light and gain an even greater appreciation for the writing. The writing is beautiful, so full of imagery and symbolism. It's a book where the reader needs to just let go and relax into the writing, Martel crafted the book masterfully.

You have made this post in the correct forum, additional discussions outside of the "official" book selections are always welcome. I would like to know your thoughts on "The Life of Pi". :)
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

yamaf350 wrote:I am crazy about this book!
I am too, lets have a discussion!
yamaf350
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

A discussion, eh, Suzanne? Well, my favorite aspect of the book is young Patel's uninhibited spiritual thirst; his mind is truly open to any and all sources of wisdom, truth, knowledge, et cetera. I think the character is so admirable in that way. I wish I could adopt his ability to accept the positive points of multiple belief systems and not allow them to clash. I think Pi is a very groovy kid.
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

yamaf350 wrote:I think Pi is a very groovy kid.
I think he is too, and what is easy to forget, is that he is just a kid. Much of his wisdom he may have gotten from his father, I think this can be seen by how much time and devotion Martel spent on the first part of the book. Many people have a hard time getting through the first 60 pages or so, but I thought it set the tone very well for what was to come. I learned much from this part of the book. It introduces the science of zoology, but the latter part of the novel combines the science with the spirituality of religion.

I saw the spirituality in Pi grow and change and develop over time. His needs changed frequently, and Pi does demonstrate the strength of the human spirit and how it is constantly evolving. Pi clearly relies heavily on a spirit outside of himself when he feels weak and afraid. Martel does an excellent job blending several factors together, all of which helped Pi survive.
yamaf350 wrote:A discussion, eh, Suzanne?
Why do you sound dubious?
GaryG48
Sophomore

Unread post

Oh boy! This is one of a dozen books I have read that I still enjoy thinking over. I would love to read it again with you all but my plate is full until the first of October. I will enjoy lurking in this thread though.
--Gary

"Freedom is feeling easy in your harness" --Robert Frost
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

GaryG48 wrote:I will enjoy lurking in this thread though.
Hmm? I don't see you as the lurking type Gary.

I am glad that a discussion of "Life of Pi" has started. Every few months this title is mentioned, I think it is about time that this memorable novel now has a place for thoughts and feelings to be expressed.

Thank you again Eriksoln for starting it!
yamaf350
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Sorry I sounded dubious, Suzanne; hopefully no offense was taken on your part. I was just trying my hand at humorous banter -- it sounded funny to me when you wrote "lets have a discussion!" Just funny, that's all.

Good call on your assessment of Pi's father's influence on his son. That seemed pretty clear to me, too. I am very surprised by the reaction of both my Mom and my wife to this book as regards your saying that "Many people have a hard time getting through the first 60 pages or so..." They both said that, and they never picked it back up! I remain nonplussed, as I got just as much from the first of the book as I did from any other section.

Have you read anything else by the author? I have not as of yet.
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

yamaf350 wrote:Sorry I sounded dubious, Suzanne; hopefully no offense was taken on your part.
No offense taken at all. I get excited when someone states they are interested in a certain book. I'm always up for a good discussion. "Hey, party!!!"
yamaf350 wrote:Have you read anything else by the author? I have not as of yet.
I have read, "Beatrice and Virgil".

http://www.amazon.com/Beatrice-Virgil-N ... 1400069262

It certainly is NOT as powerful as "Life of Pi". Martel incorporates animals simular to "Pi", and it is futuristic, but I felt that the development of the theme of the book was lacking. The characters which at first were compelling just puttered out. The concept is fabulous, but I must admit, I was more than a bit dissapointed.

I have not read either of these:

His first book, The Facts Behind the Helsinki Roccamatios, was published in 1993 and is a collection of short stories, dealing with such themes as illness, storytelling and the history of the twentieth century; music, war and the anguish of youth; how we die; and grief, loss and the reasons we are attached to material objects.

This was followed by his first novel, Self (1996), a tale of sexual identity, orientation and Orlando-like transformation. It is described by Charles Foran in the Montreal Gazette as a ' ... superb psychological acute observation on love, attraction and belonging ...'

http://www.contemporarywriters.com/auth ... 0512634824

"Orlando-like transformation". I like it! I need to check this one out! I do so enjoy Virginia Woolf and Orlando is one of my favorites by Woolf.
yamaf350 wrote:I am very surprised by the reaction of both my Mom and my wife to this book as regards your saying that "Many people have a hard time getting through the first 60 pages or so..." They both said that, and they never picked it back up! I remain nonplussed, as I got just as much from the first of the book as I did from any other section.
I enjoyed the first section of "Pi" also, and it is crucial to the story, yes?

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book!”