• In total there are 45 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 45 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

Snookered by Dan Brown Again - The Lost Symbol - an uninspiring read at best

Authors are invited and encouraged to present their FICTION books solely within this forum.
ubique
Getting Comfortable

Snookered by Dan Brown Again - The Lost Symbol - an uninspiring read at best

Unread post

Just finished “The Lost Symbol” and have been snookered by Dan Brown once again. I loved “The DaVinci Code”, was reasonably amused by “Angels and Demons”, but The Lost Symbol (another of his Professor Robert Langdon, Symbologist at large novels) has shown that Brown has flogged this horse too many times. Its official – the horse is on its back, hooves are flailing in the air and the tongue is hanging out.

The Location: Washington DC

The Subject: Free Masons (like that’s never been done before as a conspiracy novel)

The Quest: Mulling through the world of Masonic secrets, hidden history, yadda, yadda, yadda in 24 hours to prevent a kidnapped friend from being killed.

The Protagonists: Langdon and a shapely and a curvaceous Smithsonian scientist involved in ground breaking, yet highly esoteric, research. (Wow! What a change in storyline from The DaVinci Code and Angels & Demons)

The Antagonists: Purely evil and using Langdon’s talents to uncover mysteries to assist them in dominating mankind (wow – again, what a shock)

The Science and History: The codes and enigmatic symbols are rather two dimensional and about as complex as a Sudoku puzzle. The stated Masonic history is specious at best.

The Ending: The biggest surprise about the climax and culmination of the novel is that you’ve just wasted $20.

The only saving grace is, like all Dan Brown novels, that you can finish it in a few hours.

Save your money and your brain cells.

Ouch

cheers - Mike
"Ubique, Quo Fas et Gloria Ducunt"
lady of shallot

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Re: Snookered by Dan Brown Again - The Lost Symbol - an uninspiring read at best

Unread post

Well I loathed and despised The Da Vinci Code so would never give Dan Brown a read again.
Ms Stackpole
Getting Comfortable

Re: Snookered by Dan Brown Again - The Lost Symbol - an uninspiring read at best

Unread post

I gave up on the da vinci code ..too many exclamation marks; he must write for a tabloid newspaper. I saw a man on the train burst out laughing while reading it so I think he had the same opinion of it as me - I was tempted to ask him.
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

I am in complete agreement with all the above posts. I don't understand the allure of Dan Brown. When I put myself on the waiting list for "Divinci Code", (years ago) I inquired about "Angels and Demons" thinking that this was a series of books. The librarian told me that "Angels and Demons" was scheduled to go out of print a month after DC was published. Because of the interest in DV, "Angels and Demons" survived. This suggests to me, that no one had any interest in "Angels and Demons" for quite some time, why is this book so popular now? Have our standards in literature gone down over the years? It is comforting to know that readers here on BT have high standards and expect more from the books they read.
Ms Stackpole
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I think standards are very low, the top ten bestseller list makes me want to weep .. usually trashy novels "written" by Jordan, dreadful formulaic romances or those appalling stories of abuse filled childhoods. Sometimes I wonder if I shouldn't be so judgemental and it should be heartening to see people actually reading per se ... but the majority of the time I despair.
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

Unread post

I thought the movie version of the Da Vinci Code was a comedy.

Suzanne, nice to meet outside of the arcade.
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

where n are natural numbers.
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

Indeed!
stahrwe wrote:I thought the movie version of the Da Vinci Code was a comedy.
The book was pretty laughable as well.
outofmyarse
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I read this book a while back...I thought it just was just too long, got bored in the end
2006S197
Official Newbie!

Unread post

I'm glad to see that I wasn't the only one disappointed with The Lost Symbol. Several times during the book I thought of giving it up, but kept going for some reason.
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
J.R.R. Tolkien
The Lord of the Rings
Arrem
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I too find the enthusiasm for Dan Browne's novel an embarrassment. It seeems to me that the only Good Thing to have resulted from the popularity of The Da Vinci Code is increased interest in Rosslyn Chapel:
http://www.rosslynchapel.org.uk/history.php

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book!”