• In total there are 15 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 14 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 1086 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:03 am

Quit Smoking Advice, sounds good.

Engage in discussions encompassing themes like cosmology, human evolution, genetic engineering, earth science, climate change, artificial intelligence, psychology, and beyond in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Quit Smoking Advice, sounds good.

Unread post

http://www.wimp.com/quitadvice/

I am not a smoker.

Never have been.

Many in my family are smokers though. If you know anybody who smokes, have them watch this. It might just help.
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
froglipz

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Brilliant
United States of America

Re: Quit Smoking Advice, sounds good.

Unread post

I quit smoking 2 1/2 years ago now, and I enjoy all of the benefits of not smoking. The money is much nicer in my pockets, I bought a car with my money for one thing (not a Rolls though). I like not "needing" to go out for a smoke after a rush, etc. But this guy is blowing smoke (pardon the pun) up your butt, those are all excellent reasons to not want to smoke, but they didn't make me quit any faster....Or make quitting any easier when I did.

Do not take this as a reason why you shouldn't quit, I emphatically believe you should, I just don't like his idea that it should be easy for everyone just because it was for him. My grandmother quit when the cost of smokes got up to $0.50 per pack, said she never missed it...I don't believe that either...
~froglipz~

"I'm not insane, my mother had me tested"

Si vis pacem, para bellum: If you wish for peace, prepare for war.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

Have you heard about the latest government proposal to scare people away from smoking? Not just warnings on packages, but large graphic pictures of diseased lungs, children smoking, big print announcing that smoking will kill you. All this gets to a point where you wonder why the sale of such a dangerous product can be legal at all.

http://www.gastongazette.com/news/new-5 ... hmond.html
froglipz

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Brilliant
United States of America

Unread post

I'm not sure that I like the government trying to force a business owner to put graphics on their packaging describing ugly consequences of using their product. Imagine if candy wrappers had pictured of both obesity and really rotten stumpy teeth? If bullets had pictures of brains blown out upon a wall? Or cars with wreckage pictures of both the car, and the occupants? I don't encourage smoking in anyone, but it seems ethically wrong to force a manufacturer to blatantly advertise the negative consequences of using their product... I guess that makes me a republican or libertarian, but there it is...
~froglipz~

"I'm not insane, my mother had me tested"

Si vis pacem, para bellum: If you wish for peace, prepare for war.
charlie delambert
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I am a self-loathing smoker. There is no shortage of reasons to quit, but the only thing with enough power to actually make that happen is me. You could paste a bloody piece of lung to my camels and I'd still be rushing out to buy them because I am ADDICTED! I am not using this as an excuse, simply a statement of fact. I won't speak for the lung abusing masses, but I would guess that many smokers feel the same way. I can say with certainty that I will quit eventually, but not because of pictures, or videos, or the government. Nope, I'll quit when I feel like trying. Currently my effort and self control are otherwise engaged. Thanks for trying though, I wish a video or website could help me out, I'd mass market it and make billions.
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

http://www.wimp.com/smokingads/

Check out this stop smoking campaign in Thailand.

Excellent.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
Australia

Unread post

I'm wondering how much each cigarette shortens your life on average. I've seen estimates between one minute and eleven minutes.
Snake Cigarette.gif
Snake Cigarette.gif (76.21 KiB) Viewed 2753 times
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

i've heard a whole range of numbers as well, but i think that it would have to be cumulative.

I've never smoked anything, so i doubt me sucking down one smoke would take minutes off of my life.

If i've smoked ten thousand packs in my life, then i think you could put a number to it.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Return to “Science & Technology”