• In total there are 19 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 18 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

WE THE PEOPLE...

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
phillies4evr
Intern

Re: WE THE PEOPLE...

Unread post

too........ I am so happy that you are at the end of this! I gave up too because nobody wanted to hear my point of view as a tea party activist. And now all I have to say is... let sleeping dogs lie!
etudiant
Masters

Unread post

toodeemo wrote:I'll tell you how they respond. Back in 1970 on the New Haven CT. green, there was a protest gathering/Earth day celebration. There were protests and rallys all over the country in public gathering places and on college campuses. About 100K people were in New Haven, mostly to show support for the Black Panthers who were on trial for killing Bobby Seale. We had everything Lots of people. William Kuntsler. Erika Davis. Oh, and about 500 National Gaurdsmen with boyonettes and loaded guns spread out on every corner. There literally was a cloud of tear gas over the area.

I was sitting around with some friends playing my guitar. "Uncle John's Band" was the tune. For no reason that I could think of, I got gassed by one of the guardsmen. Now I know I wasn't exactly Eric Clapton on guitar, but I don't think I sucked enough to get tear gassed.

THAT is what professional soldiers do when there is a threat to the state or Federal Government. That's what they are trained to do and that's what they should do when facted with a perceived insurgency. All I can say is it's a good thing people cleared out before the Kent State incident. Soldiers are hired to protect the republic. If THEY are co-opted into an insurgency, that's how a takeover happens. So please dont think the government would not put down an insurgency.

I know what I"m talking about. As I said, I was gassed because of the threat. Either that, or the National Guard REALLY doesn't like the Grateful Dead.

If he was in the Guard at the time, he probably preferred Johnny Cash or Glen Campbell.

Critics can be harsh though.
"I suspect that the universe is not only queerer than we suppose, but queerer than we can suppose"
— JBS Haldane
seespotrun2008

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Graduate Student

Unread post

too........ I am so happy that you are at the end of this! I gave up too because nobody wanted to hear my point of view as a tea party activist. And now all I have to say is... let sleeping dogs lie!
I wanted to hear your opinion. I asked you a few questions some time back. You started this so that we could have a discussion right?
etudiant
Masters

Unread post

phillies4evr wrote:too........ I am so happy that you are at the end of this! I gave up too because nobody wanted to hear my point of view as a tea party activist. And now all I have to say is... let sleeping dogs lie!
I am going to risk giving the dog a shake.

I think it is unfair to say that participants on this site have not been willing to listen to your point of view. From what I have seen, other posters here have listened, and then offered intellectual debate on your position. Not all have agreed with you, but this is to be expected in any sizable group of people. I have heard you respond to a degree, but also have a certain reluctance to explore or respond fully to some comments.

There is value in debate, in the process itself, IMO, even if you are not the one that ends up being validated. It is an exchange of ideas, and these days, with the technology of the Internet, it can be an impressive gathering of voices- from all over the world in fact. Open-minded discussion can be positive, because you will go away with either more surety of your position, or with new information.

Many in the world would describe the ideas of the Tea Party as extreme. When I say many, I mean a consensus of mainstream, recognized, respected media outlets in countries outside the US, and many within. You may disagree, and believe there is more to say about these issues. But that will require more time at the keyboard.
"I suspect that the universe is not only queerer than we suppose, but queerer than we can suppose"
— JBS Haldane
JulianTheApostate
Masters

Unread post

etudiant wrote:
phillies4evr wrote:too........ I am so happy that you are at the end of this! I gave up too because nobody wanted to hear my point of view as a tea party activist. And now all I have to say is... let sleeping dogs lie!
I am going to risk giving the dog a shake.

I think it is unfair to say that participants on this site have not been willing to listen to your point of view. From what I have seen, other posters here have listened, and then offered intellectual debate on your position.
However, it's uncomfortable to participate in a discussion forum in which most people hold opposing views. Actually, I'm glad that a self-professed tea party activist is participating, to provide a diversity of opinion.

Return to “Current Events & History”