• In total there are 19 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 18 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

What book of fiction should we discuss during February and March?

Authors are invited and encouraged to present their FICTION books solely within this forum.
kelstan

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Intern

Re: What book of fiction should we discuss during February and March?

Unread post

In any case, Rita, you are not allowed to post discussion suggestions until you have the requisite number of posts. It would be polite to read the headers at the top of the forum before posting. As an author, you may promote your book on the fiction forum.
Theomanic

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

Unread post

For what it's worth, I find the concept of The Man Who Was Thursday to be intriguing.

The main book on my need-a-reason-to-read shelf is Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace. I've heard so many good things about it, but I think I need a reading buddy (or ten) to get through it.

From Amazon.ca:
A gargantuan, mind-altering comedy about the Pursuit of Happiness in America Set in an addicts' halfway house and a tennis academy, and featuring the most endearingly screwed-up family to come along in recent fiction, Infinite Jest explores essential questions about what entertainment is and why it has come to so dominate our lives; about how our desire for entertainment affects our need to connect with other people; and about what the pleasures we choose say about who we are. Equal parts philosophical quest and screwball comedy, Infinite Jest bends every rule of fiction without sacrificing for a moment its own entertainment value. It is an exuberant, uniquely American exploration of the passions that make us human - and one of those rare books that renew the idea of what a novel can do.
This article seems like a very helpful primer to reading Infinite Jest. If nothing else, there sure seems like a lot to talk about!
"Beware those who are always reading books" - The Genius of the Crowd, by Charles Bukowski
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

kelstan wrote:In any case, Rita, you are not allowed to post discussion suggestions until you have the requisite number of posts. It would be polite to read the headers at the top of the forum before posting. As an author, you may promote your book on the fiction forum.
Rita, this is not completely correct. Yes, we do have a minimum post requirement to suggest novels only because we have found that members who are not active on the forums usually do not participate in the book discussion once a book is selected. Authors such as yourself, can suggest their own books for group book discussions, however Kelstan is correct to direct you to create a thread in the fiction forum announcing/promoting your book and by doing so your book may receive more attention.
Theomanic wrote:The main book on my need-a-reason-to-read shelf is Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace. I've heard so many good things about it, but I think I need a reading buddy (or ten) to get through it.
This novel seems to be hot right now. I have heard it mentioned several times and I have recently purchased it.
Theomanic wrote:For what it's worth, I find the concept of The Man Who Was Thursday to be intriguing.
At this point I think we can do without the poll and announce, "The Man Who Was Thursday" as the group fiction discussion book for February and March. This novel received the most positive feedback.

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book!”