• In total there are 31 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 29 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

What Books Do You Dislike?

Authors are invited and encouraged to present their FICTION books solely within this forum.
tomkinsr

Re: What Books Do You Dislike?

Unread post

it actually surprises me aswell , reading about some of the dislikes, i loved steinbecks "of mice and men". As for the vampire craze, i could care less, the teenage romance novels of today all center around the same focus of head over heels love, lacking real intellegence or creativity. But atleast it gets some of the girls reading. Dont get me wrong, i love a little romance here and there but its less interesting when thats all the book has.
Pegasus796
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

Wow, I suddenly don't feel like such uncultured twit. I couldn't stand the end of Lord of the Flies and most of Dickens drives me completely bonkers (I never finished Oliver Twist, it was the first book I had to buy cliffnotes for because I couldn't read it). I've never been able to get into the popular crime dramas, Tom Clancy's, or Stephen King's. To add, I can't stand Hawthorne's Scarlet Letter. That book was like nails on a chalkboard for me. I will admit too that I have a love/hate relationship with Gregory Maguire's Out of Oz series. I don't know if I want to hug or strangle my best friend for telling me that Wicked was such a great book (which, come to find out, she still hasn't read).

DWill: You should give Hemingway's short stories a chance. I never liked his work until I had an amazing professor who introduced me to his short stories. He is huge on symbolism.
JoeMo
Official Newbie!

Unread post

I loathed The Swimming Pool Library by Alan Hollinghurst so much that I have no plans to read his Booker Prize winning effort despite a long-term ambition to read all the winners.
fionamc
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

The one book I have started a couple of times but could never get past page 30 is 'Nausea' by John Paul Sartre. My english teacher always told us to read the first 100 pages before we made our mind up on a book but I could never get there with this one..
XxKiss_A_SkullXx
Official Newbie!

Unread post

The Twilight series to me it's one big fanfiction that got lucky it was published. I also couldn't get into Les Miserables which made me sad, because I really adored the movies. The writing style just put me off instead of pulling me in like I had hoped it would.
deathscythe210
Eligible to vote in book polls!

Unread post

i agree with the Twilight hatred. i got the books for my birthday a couple years back. the writing style and grammatical errors i found made me give up the first book after 3 chapters. Sadly though my friends are Twitards and i have been dragged to every movie. I also have to put myself in the anti-Moby Dick group. I hated it same as much of the mandatory high school reading.

i'm probably going to be hated for this, but another book i couldn't get into was Fahrenheit 451. Maybe it was just the timing in which i read it, but i couldn't keep focused on it. I was thinking of giving it another chance now that i'm older.
Mistry
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Most romance and lovey duvey books, cant stand them
When people are in slaved, the first thing they do is stop them reading
Eastern Blonde

Unread post

I am surprised that so many people don't like Stephen King, he was my obsession when I was a 12 year old girl and I think I must have read all his books as a teenager.

Apart for the obvious hates such as Stephanie Meyers I really dislike Paulo Coelho, he writes like a 10 year old boy and I find his pseudo-philosophical wisdom vomit inducing.

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book!”