• In total there are 172 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 171 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

What convinces you to give a new author a chance?

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
dernst
Getting Comfortable

Re: What convinces you to give a new author a chance?

Unread post

There are certain genres I don't like. Period. If I like the blurb, or read a good review, I'll download a sample. I've read lots of samples this past year. If an author can't get my interest in the first twenty or so pages, I won't even spend the two bucks.
Rigid Bones
Master Debater

Unread post

It's mood with me. I'll be in the mood for a specific genre, I'll go hunting for it and if the initial blurb captures my attention I'll go fo it whether I have heard of the author or not. When I was younger I used to force myself to finish every book I started to read but no I am "ahem" more experienced I have given myself permission to drop a book if it doesn't engage me and simply move on to another one. So, not the end of the world if I make a bad choice.
Rigid Bones
Master Debater

Unread post

Oops - opened another box in error - sorry!
TheViolin
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

When the book sounds good and when I can get at the library or cheap elsewhere. Actually that is what I do with most authors, old, new, known, unknown. I am kind of frugal with my money and I think books are way too expensive at market price. Well, that's how I feel anyways.

Return to “Everything Else”