• In total there are 12 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 12 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

What do you do for a living?

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

Ah, but you have that rich inner life of the book-lover, or maybe you are Walter Mitty. I am a guy who works for a county government agency serving people with serious mental illness. I do case management, direct support, counseling. I meet and work with interesting and mostly very nice people.

I agree, good thread.
GentleReader9

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Internet Sage

Unread post

Interbane wrote:
I'm on temporary assignment in Japan. I am a federal punisher. I whack people with a bamboo cane.
:laugh: :bow: :laugh2:

I am in love with Interbane now. That was such a great answer. Let me see if I can think of something that wild. Hmm. How about this one? In my work I have to recruit, train and supervise volunteers to help cover a 24-hour crisis and support line and related services for survivors of sexual assault and abuse, past and present, regardless of who they are and who their abusers are...no wait, that's not funny; it's true. :( Hey, Interbane, how can I apply for a job like yours?
"Where can I find a man who has forgotten the words so that I can talk with him?"
-- Chuang-Tzu (c. 200 B.C.E.)
as quoted by Robert A. Burton
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Unread post

GentleReader9 wrote:Interbane wrote:
I'm on temporary assignment in Japan. I am a federal punisher. I whack people with a bamboo cane.
:laugh: :bow: :laugh2:

I am in love with Interbane now. That was such a great answer. Let me see if I can think of something that wild. Hmm. How about this one? In my work I have to recruit, train and supervise volunteers to help cover a 24-hour crisis and support line and related services for survivors of sexual assault and abuse, past and present, regardless of who they are and who their abusers are...no wait, that's not funny; it's true. :( Hey, Interbane, how can I apply for a job like yours?
Yeah...I think I would thrive in a job like 'Bane's!!!

I lied before...I am really a Dominatrix. I am not even a male...sorry I have led you all on so long.

Ms. P.
GentleReader9

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Internet Sage

Unread post

Mr.? P. wrote:
I lied before...I am really a Dominatrix. I am not even a male...sorry I have led you all on so long.

Ms. P.
So which pronoun and title do you actually prefer now, O Mighty and Revered Pessimistic One? We're very strict in our respect for letting people do their own self-labeling and self-describing in my field, and we're very indebted to the BDSM community for their ground-breaking work in articulating a clear theory and practice of getting and giving consent -- the basis for good prevention education for youth. I, unlike some people whom I suspect of pulling my leg, am pretty much serious. (And take your hands off my leg, too. I don't know you that well -- okay, so that was a joke.)
"Where can I find a man who has forgotten the words so that I can talk with him?"
GentleReader9

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Internet Sage

Unread post

Conversations with Self:

Well, we killed that topic of conversation, GR9.

Yes, GR9, I noticed. Let's just follow that rule we had before about leave work at work, okay?

Okay.

It's so nice to have someone who understands.

I know. Such a comfort, GR9.

Don't mention it.

I won't; confidentiality and everything, you know.

I do know. (And so forth...it just goes on like that.)
shawnrohrbach

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
All Your Posts are Belong to Us!

Unread post

the title says Information Technology Consultant but the jobis making computing easier and hopefully more productive for users. I am transitioning again into Information Security; can't seem to shake it. I am a part of the speakers bureau here at the university and through this I help small businesses and families develop strategies for safe internet surfing and protecting confidential information. And the royalties are starting to come in a bit larger these days so hopefully I can get away from the computers soon. I think in retirement i will become a luddite.
Saffron

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I can has reading?
United States of America

Unread post

What I do for a living is what everyone needs -- personal assistant. No, really, my title is Residential Counselor. I case manage and assist chronically mentally ill people get through their days. In practice, I do everything from balance checkbooks to answer questions about sexually transmitted disease (that was on the menu for today).
Last edited by Saffron on Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Oops, forgot to come back and be serious. I'm the regional property manager for some YMCA's. That's Young Men's Christian Association. Part of my job is to assist in raising money to help lower earning members of the community. I'm also an assistant wrestling coach.
Frank 013
Worthy of Worship

Unread post

I am an official NY State inmate babysitter.
That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.
Grim

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Brilliant

Unread post

Seriously though being a student lately means that I'm too busy to even really think, and it's Saturday night!

So I guess my current occupation would be my own thoughts although I am currently having trouble managing them.
Last edited by Grim on Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Everything Else”