• In total there are 24 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 24 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

What do you do for a living?

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
bohemian_girl
Book Nut

Unread post

I am in law school. I have less than a year left until I finish my degree :crazy:
seespotrun2008

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Graduate Student

Unread post

I work for a domestic and sexual violence crisis line.
President Camacho

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I Should Be Bronzed

Unread post

Counseling mentally ill people about sexually transmitted diseases? The same types of people that think that imaginary bugs are constantly trying to enter their brains through their ears and eat them from the inside out?

Wow, that must have been fun. Did anyone try to cut off or tape shut anyone else's genitalia after you were done?

They'll probably never use a public toilet again. Now you'll need to line your office with plastic because you know they're going to try and hold it in until they release uncontrollably wherever they happen to be. One of those places might be your office.

Looking out for your best interests,

Camacho
tarav

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

I am a Curriculum Coach. I work with teachers and students in an Elementary School. I also work with the state as a trainer of educators.
opcode
Eligible to vote in book polls!

Unread post

I was Editor-in-Chief of a magazine until November, then I quit and I am going to law school. Bohemian_Girl, where do you attend? I am thinking Seattle U or U of Washington.
PAULA717
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Director of Paitent Accounts for a medical company. It couldn't be more boring but I'm happy to be employed during these difficult times and continue to buy book after book after book... I've got a long wishlist :smile:
farmgirlshelley
Intern

Unread post

I am a full time organic farmer/gardener and homeschooling mom. I also do a lot of volunteer stuff. One of the things I do is the Book Buddy program for the library. I go to my buddy's house and pick up her library card, get her a collection of books and bring them to her house and then return them and get all new books ever few weeks. Most people in the program are sick, and cannot get to the library! I love it!
Life is very busy. My dream is to get a PhD in Ornithology. :smile:
President Camacho

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I Should Be Bronzed

Unread post

That's great! I want to get into gardening myself! I'm thinking about getting some old railroad ties and sectioning off a part of my backyard and then planting all the things I like to eat such as broccoli, carrots, squash, different types of lettuce, onions, strawberries - all different types of berries, green beans, and some other things too!

I just ordered some apple trees and an almond tree off of Gurneys online store. They should arrive some time in the spring.

Any tips for the beginner? Any really good gardening books or sites you know of?

:king:
farmgirlshelley
Intern

Unread post

President Camacho wrote:That's great! I want to get into gardening myself! I'm thinking about getting some old railroad ties and sectioning off a part of my backyard and then planting all the things I like to eat such as broccoli, carrots, squash, different types of lettuce, onions, strawberries - all different types of berries, green beans, and some other things too!

I just ordered some apple trees and an almond tree off of Gurneys online store. They should arrive some time in the spring.

Any tips for the beginner? Any really good gardening books or sites you know of?

:king:
YES I have many great suggestions... but first let me say... PLEASE do NOT ever use railroad ties, as they have been soaked in creosote and it will make the food that you intend to eat contaminated with chemicals! :eek:
I love so many of the books, it is hard to choose the best ones but I will try. First let me start with web sites. There is a yahoo group called organic homesteading and gardening, and they know about everything. You can go there with questions or just read through the files and learn so much.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/organicho ... gardening/
http://www.beginner-gardening.com/
http://www.ubcbotanicalgarden.org/articles/5/

Some books that I love are
The Vegetable Gardener's Bible: Discover Ed's High-Yield W-O-R-D System for All North American Gardening Regions (Paperback)
by Edward C. Smith ISBN-10: 1580172121

All New Square Foot Gardening [ILLUSTRATED] (Paperback)
by Mel Bartholomew (Author) ISBN-10: 1591862027

Lasagna Gardening: A New Layering System for Bountiful Gardens: No Digging, No Tilling, No Weeding, No Kidding! (Paperback)
by Patricia Lanza ISBN-10: 0875969623

American Horticultural Society Encyclopedia of Gardening (Hardcover)
by Carol Cooper (Contributor), Paula M. Elbirt (Contributor)
ISBN-10: 0789496534 This book is packed full of pics, I look at it several times a year. If you only buy one book this may be the one you want, but get it from a library first to make sure it is what you want in a gardening book.

The Self-sufficient Life and How to Live It (Hardcover)
by John Seymour ISBN-10: 0789493322

The Encyclopedia of Country Living (Paperback)
by Carla Emery ISBN-10: 1570615535

Maria Rodale's Organic Gardening (Your Seasonal Companion to Creating a Beautiful and Delicious Organic Garden) (Hardcover)
by Maria Rodale ISBN-10: 087596799X

Rodale's All-New Encyclopedia of Organic Gardening: The Indispensable Resource for Every Gardener (Paperback)
by Fern Marshall Bradley (Editor), Barbara W. Ellis (Editor)
ISBN-10: 0875965997

ANYTHING by Rodale press is AWESOME. don't forget magazines, like Organic Gardening. A lot of times libraries have them already.

Trowel and Error: Over 700 Tips, Remedies and Shortcuts for the Gardener (Paperback)
by Sharon Lovejoy (Author) ISBN-10: 0761126325

and if you have kids, or even nieces and nephews this book is a must have:
Roots, Shoots, Buckets & Boots: Gardening Together with Children (Paperback)
by Sharon Lovejoy (Author) ISBN-10: 0761110569

that should keep you busy. there is nothing like reading gardening books in the dead of winter. feel free to ask me questions any time, you can email me or send me a PM so we don't take up forum space.
what type of apple trees did you get? I have macintosh and golden delicious here. I also have peaches, and cherries. I can't wait for spring.

:smile:
astrid
Master Debater

Unread post

the clients I work with are the quietest anyone could wish for...... I think they may be a bit envious of me as I come and go while they stay in one place their whole life.....they tend to be "green" with envy. ;-)

farmgirlshelley-- that is so great that you are a "book buddy"-- I've never heard of that-- I think it's awesome. I'm going to ask the library here if they have such a program. :up:

I LOVE gardening too. :smile:

astrid

Return to “Everything Else”