• In total there are 13 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 13 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

What do you do for a living?

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
poettess
All Star Member

Unread post

By night I am a mild-mannered help desk analyst who assists one of the big three auto company's employees (no...not toyota) with their voicemail and such. By day I am a social worker who writes grants and does evaluations for non-profits. all the other time (sometimes overlapping) I am a mother and avid adventure seeker.
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

It's a living

Unread post

I have recently changed career paths, in my old age. I was an anesthesia assistant for many years. Got pretty fed up with health care, and I am now a paralegal. I am also a student working my way towards law school. Great, by the time I am an attorney, my husband will want to retire.

Suzanne
Saffron

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I can has reading?
United States of America

Re: It's a living

Unread post

Suz wrote:I have recently changed career paths, in my old age.
Yikes, Suzanne, you are only 46!
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

yikes

Unread post

Saffron:

Oh no, did I scare you? I will rephrase: at my age, the prime of my life, experienced and wise!
Saffron

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I can has reading?
United States of America

Re: yikes

Unread post

Suz wrote:Saffron:

Oh no, did I scare you? I will rephrase: at my age, the prime of my life, experienced and wise!
Not scare, but surprise, that you would think of yourself at 46 as old -- even in jest.
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Suprise

Unread post

Saffron:

Sometimes I feel ancient. I'm back in school after XXX years, many of the students are 18, 19. I have a daughter who is 18. Sometimes I feel I am too old (and selfish)to start a new career, but, I am going after my dream, that in itself shows youthfulness right?

Suzanne
Saffron

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I can has reading?
United States of America

Re: Suprise

Unread post

Suz wrote:Saffron:
, but, I am going after my dream, that in itself shows youthfulness right?
Suzanne
Definitely! I got my M.A. at 39. I think it is never too late. I had a stretch in my 30's that I felt practically in the grave. Now at 47, I feel younger (most of the time) than I did at 31!
Grim

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Brilliant

Unread post

I just applied for a new job. Starts shortly. It's called a vacation. C'ya.

:bananadance: :bananadance2: :bananadance: :bananadance2:
MaryLupin

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Junior

Unread post

Suz wrote:Sometimes I feel ancient. I'm back in school after XXX years, many of the students are 18, 19. I have a daughter who is 18. Sometimes I feel I am too old (and selfish)to start a new career, but, I am going after my dream, that in itself shows youthfulness right?
Balderdash! I teach college as an adjunct and take classes at the same time. One time I was a student in a class (English, I think) with one of my (then current) students (in one of my Sociology classes I think). That was fun. You should have seen his face! I think I ended up teaching him more in that class than in the one where I was officially his prof.

How cool is that.

You know so much more about some things than your classmates. Remember that next time you feel intimidated.
I've always found it rather exciting to remember that there is a difference between what we experience and what we think it means.
Saffron

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I can has reading?
United States of America

Unread post

MaryLupin wrote: I teach college as an adjunct and take classes at the same time. One time I was a student in a class (English, I think) with one of my (then current) students (in one of my Sociology classes I think).
I did one term at a community college as an adjunct, teaching Soc. 101 & an Archeology online class. Community college was no fun.

Return to “Everything Else”