• In total there are 32 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 31 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

What does your BookTalk.org username mean?

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Mr A
Wearing Out Library Card

Re: What does your BookTalk.org username mean?

Unread post

My username means this:

http://www.dialbforblog.com/archives/296/
http://www.dialbforblog.com/archives/297/
http://www.dialbforblog.com/archives/298/

An Objectivist superhero comic book character of Steve Ditko.
"Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
- Cyril Connolly

My seven published books are available for purchase, click here:
http://www.amazon.com/Steven-L.-Sheppard/e/B00E6KOX12
etudiant
Masters

Unread post

"Student"- which is how I see myself these days. When I was 17, I knew pretty much everythng about the universe, except for a few small details that were probably unimportant anyway. To my shock, all that knowledge evaporated over only a few short years, and indeed the situation is now 180 degrees different. Now I realize, even some time later, that I know only small details, probably unimportant in the larger scheme of things, and there is a universe in darkness out there. I'll have to hurry to come up to speed.
"I suspect that the universe is not only queerer than we suppose, but queerer than we can suppose"
— JBS Haldane
JasperStorm
Master Debater

Unread post

I wish I could tell that my name revolved around an epic tale of courage and fortune, but alas, it's just my pen name. ;)
thebookwheel
Master Debater

Unread post

My username is the name of my book review site, The Book Wheel Blog
The Book Wheel
www.thebookwheelblog.com
Books, Politics, + More!
Aomame
Book Nut

Unread post

Aomame is a character in Haruku Murakami's "IQ84". It means "green peas".

I like her - although I have nothing in common with her (neither do I murder people, nor do I have a similar religious background).
Currently Reading:
Orhan Pamuk: My Name is Red/G.K. Chesterton: The Man Who Was Thursday/Jared Diamond: The World Until Yesterday/Bill Lauritzen: the Invention of God/Michail Bulgakow: The Master and Margarita/Laurence Sterne: Tristram Shandy/Leonardo Padura: The Havana Quartet/Thomas Mann: The Buddenbrooks: The Decline of a Family/Robert Rowland Smith: Breakfast with Socrates

Recently Finished:
Baratunde Thurston: How to Be Black/Norah Vincent: Self-Made Man/Elizabeth George: Well-Schooled in Murder

New on the shelf:
John Jeremiah Sullivan: Pulphead/Alex Vilenkin: Many Worlds in One/Leo Tolstoy: War and Peace/Joseph Conrad: Lord Jim/Neil Shubin: Your Inner Fish/Penn Jillette: Everyday Day is an Atheist Holiday
Mayra2215
Official Newbie!

Unread post

My username is my real name with my kids bdays :)
Theomanic

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

Unread post

A theomanic is someone who has theomania - the belief that they are god. I like this name for its irony. I have a way of stating things that seems to make people think I will brook no argument and that is the end of it. I also have a lot of Opinions. Yes, it deserves a capital "O".

More than once people have accused me of feeling like I'm god because of this manner. However, I'm an atheist, so I don't believe in god! And I certainly don't feel I am one and am always curious to hear other people's perspectives and opinions on things. So it's an unfortunate thing that some people get the impression that I am so immovable in my statements from my firm way of phrasing them.

So basically, I don't believe in God, but I think I am God, thus I don't believe in myself. :)
"Beware those who are always reading books" - The Genius of the Crowd, by Charles Bukowski
tomrosemasters
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

My username is actually the name of my friend, the writer Thomas Rose-Masters.
And, since I honestly and seriously believe that he is a very good debut author, I am trying to promote his first novel. My name is Milan Milkovich. :) and I am a literary researcher.
Pheidippides
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

At the ripe old age of 36, I became an avid runner and so far, have run two marathons. I'm in the middle of training for my third which will be in May of this year. Pheidippides was the Greek runner who ran to Marathon to announce the victory of Greece over the Persians to the townspeople. He is rumored to have cried: "We won!, we won!" and then die on the spot.

Joyful inspiration I know :mrgreen:
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

Pheidippides wrote: He is rumored to have cried: "We won!, we won!" and then die on the spot.
always good to go out on a high note :lol:

Return to “Everything Else”