• In total there are 27 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 26 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

What next?

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Theomanic

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

Re: What next?

Unread post

I read "Lovely Bones" and quite enjoyed it also. Alice Sebold also wrote a memoir called "Lucky" that's pretty good, though it's kind of depressing. And eerie! Some weird coincidences. I heard her follow up book that came out a year or whatever ago isn't very great.

I've not read any of the other books you mentioned she read so I'm a little bit leery, but I do second the recommendation of "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime". Also, I just read a book called "The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie" that she may like. It's a charming mystery set in 1950's rural England of an 11 year old girl who discovered a murdered man in her garden. This girl isn't much like most 11 year olds; she is very intelligent, and especially interested in chemistry (poisons are her specialty). I found it a light and entertaining read. It's not a children's book, in case you were concerned (much like The Curious Incident...).

If you can list a few more books she likes, I'm sure I can think of more recommendations. :)
"Beware those who are always reading books" - The Genius of the Crowd, by Charles Bukowski
Eriksoln
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

Theomanic wrote:I read "Lovely Bones" and quite enjoyed it also. Alice Sebold also wrote a memoir called "Lucky" that's pretty good, though it's kind of depressing. And eerie! Some weird coincidences. I heard her follow up book that came out a year or whatever ago isn't very great.

I've not read any of the other books you mentioned she read so I'm a little bit leery, but I do second the recommendation of "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime". Also, I just read a book called "The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie" that she may like. It's a charming mystery set in 1950's rural England of an 11 year old girl who discovered a murdered man in her garden. This girl isn't much like most 11 year olds; she is very intelligent, and especially interested in chemistry (poisons are her specialty). I found it a light and entertaining read. It's not a children's book, in case you were concerned (much like The Curious Incident...).

If you can list a few more books she likes, I'm sure I can think of more recommendations. :)

I've had "The Curious incident..........." come up in a lot of conversations. It seems to be a good choice for the next book. Right now she is full blast into the "Dear John" book I have her not too long ago.
They say 90% of the game is half mental.
lindad_amato
Intelligent

Unread post

Glad I took a nap during all of this. LOL
Eriksoln
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

lindad_amato wrote:Glad I took a nap during all of this. LOL

I hear ya.

There's nothing I can't stand more than people who feel the need to pollute threads with general/useless posts just because they are in the mood to hear themselves talk. This whole thread was going perfectly until.........well, you saw it all go down.
President Camacho

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I Should Be Bronzed

Unread post

seespotrun is cool people. I think she just misunderstood what was going on. Reading it over it's all pretty amusing.
Eriksoln
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

President Camacho wrote:seespotrun is cool people. I think she just misunderstood what was going on. Reading it over it's all pretty amusing.
I'll have to take your word for it at this point. I have a few other descriptions for it other than amusing.

I'll perhaps start a new thread with the same basic topic so that people aren't biased by that whole exchange.
froglipz

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Brilliant
United States of America

Unread post

it's probably not necessary, most people can see that exchange how it happened, and those who can't....well....
~froglipz~

"I'm not insane, my mother had me tested"

Si vis pacem, para bellum: If you wish for peace, prepare for war.
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

Spot is good people. I think the gender confusion had something to do with the results of this somewhat uncomfortable conversation. I've been married for 20 years, "Eat, Love, Sleep", is pretty accurate. Of course, my crude joke made everything worse, typical.
froglipz

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Brilliant
United States of America

Unread post

LoL it was pretty funny, I think it just got a little skewed sideways for a second there...
~froglipz~

"I'm not insane, my mother had me tested"

Si vis pacem, para bellum: If you wish for peace, prepare for war.
Eriksoln
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

froglipz wrote:it's probably not necessary, most people can see that exchange how it happened, and those who can't....well....
Love the screen name. It reminds me of an exercise a camp leader used to do. When I was younger, I went to a CCD camp and there was always this camp counselor who did a presentation that went like:

(large jar painted black so you can't see inside)
"This is a bottle of chicken lips"
(eventually everyone responds that there is not such thing, chickens have beaks)
"Well, have you ever eaten chicken fingers? They don't have fingers either"
(Its not the same)
"This is where blind faith comes into play. You can choose to believe or not. Mind you, not believing simply because you can't see it and you don't think it possible is a terrible way to limit the mind and soul."

Return to “Everything Else”