• In total there are 150 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 149 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Why read books over watching t.v. or movies?!?!??!?!

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Kevbw309
Getting Comfortable

Re: Why read books over watching t.v. or movies?!?!??!?!

Unread post

Oregon has no sales tax. Must be nice to live there.
heledd
Doctorate

Unread post

Squirrels ate the cable coming from my satellite dish, so I've had no tv for over a year.
Life's a glitch and then you die - The Simpsons
skybluepink
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

Lately I haven't really been watching tv as much. I have some things saved on my dvr box but I haven't bothered to watch them. I've been reading a lot more.

I find think lately a lot of tv shows or movies are based off of books more and more. The books are always better anyway.
Kevbw309
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I agree. With one exception. Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory was better than the book.
skybluepink
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

I'll be honest, I haven't read that one. I'll add it to my never ending "to be read" list. I love the movie, but only the original. The one with Johnny Depp freaks me out LOL
arukiyomi
Master Debater

Unread post

I don't really know why but I get bored in films really quickly. I don't in novels although they take a much longer time to do the same thing. Maybe it's cos my mind is continually engaged in a book but not in a film.
wilde
Kindle Fanatic

Unread post

I read while watching TV. :o Sometimes it's just for background noise.

In general though, I prefer reading a book over watching TV. But there's times where I just want to relax & watch a show rather than read.
Big bright accent, catty smile
Oscar Wilde confrontation
Ah, live like it's the style.

Shelfari!
Dexter

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I dumpster dive for books!
United States of America

Unread post

arukiyomi wrote:I don't really know why but I get bored in films really quickly. I don't in novels although they take a much longer time to do the same thing. Maybe it's cos my mind is continually engaged in a book but not in a film.
I find that true especially for documentaries. It could be a topic I'm interested in, it could have slick production, but I'd usually rather read a 400 page book than watch a 1 hour documentary. Partly because it will inevitably be dumbed down.

However, because it takes more mental energy to read, there are (probably too many) times I'd rather watch a TV show or movie.
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

I have recently subcribed to Netflix so I have found myself lost in the old series Lost. So at night I am often torn between book and island.But once I have finished the series I will go back to my books and my silence.
JaneWiggin
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

wilde wrote:I read while watching TV. :o Sometimes it's just for background noise.

In general though, I prefer reading a book over watching TV. But there's times where I just want to relax & watch a show rather than read.
I do the same thing, tv is always on because I hate reading in silence... for some reason makes the time feel like its going by slower. I've got a thing about time...

I prefer reading, especially when I'm traveling. Less chance of getting car sick. But sometimes, I'll get so engrossed in a show, a lot of the time its because it goes by faster (again with the time thing... ). But, that doesn't happen as often as one would thing. Find me a book series that I can burn through like I can do with a TV show (ie Numbers) and I'll love you forever.

And movies are there for that quick fix... (time....)
If one cannot enjoy reading a book over and over again, there is no use in reading it at all.
Oscar Wilde

There is no friend as loyal as a book.
Ernest Hemingway

Return to “Everything Else”