• In total there are 36 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 36 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Would you buy books online or from a physical bookstore???

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.

Have you ever purchased or sold your used books online???

yes.

74%
no.

13%
just once (not a good experience).

No votes
i prefer physical stores.

13%
I wish to try buying books online at least once.

No votes

Total votes: 23
wilde
Kindle Fanatic

Re: Would you buy books online or from a physical bookstore???

Unread post

rainbells wrote:I hope they don't do away with printed books altogether. I write in my books, underline words I don't know to look up later, underline sentences I like and want to remember. I know people who think it's awful the way I deface my books, but it's part of the whole experience for me. Ebooks would not be as enjoyable as paper books. I buy books everywhere, online, and in stores. I think both ways have their advantages.

Haha my AP Lit teacher made use mark our copies of "Frankenstein," and I hated doing it. I don't like reading books that are too worn down. (This reminds me, I need a new copy of "Blindness" :lol: )

But I mean, it's your book, you can do whatever you want. :) I only hate when people mark up a library book.
Big bright accent, catty smile
Oscar Wilde confrontation
Ah, live like it's the style.

Shelfari!
bleachededen

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Finds books under furniture

Unread post

wilde wrote: But I mean, it's your book, you can do whatever you want. :) I only hate when people mark up a library book.
That's why I hate library books. I like to do with my book as I please, and I don't want to have to give it back when I'm done reading it. It's mine, dammit! :lol:
wilde
Kindle Fanatic

Unread post

bleachededen wrote:
wilde wrote: But I mean, it's your book, you can do whatever you want. :) I only hate when people mark up a library book.
That's why I hate library books. I like to do with my book as I please, and I don't want to have to give it back when I'm done reading it. It's mine, dammit! :lol:

LOL yeah, I'm the same way sometimes. The "notes" function on my phone is full of book titles that I got from the library, so I know what to look for when I go shopping. :lol:

Shelfari!
bleachededen

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Finds books under furniture

Unread post

*having a duh moment*

I never thought to use my phone for that! I carry a notebook with me at all times, in case I need to write things and to always have a way to make a grocery list, but I never even considered using my phone to store info. I even have a full keyboard! I feel so dumb, haha, I'm behind the times! :lol:
rainbells
The Great Gabsby

Unread post

I never would write in someone else's book. I only write in my own.
FuzzBunny
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I buy books both online and in physical stores. I prefer the ease of ordering online, but enjoy the atmosphere of physical store, plus it is fun to just browse around. I do also use the library quite a bit. If I really enjoy a book, then I purchase it just to keep in the collection.
caseyjo
The Great Gabsby

Unread post

I can't believe I'm about to say this, but I now buy most of my books online. It's strange, because I used to love the physical bookstores so much. We had one in my hometown that was a tiny little book-cave; they stuffed a gazillion books in there and would order you anything you wanted. They also had the cutest cats that lived in the store and curled up on the armchairs. I begged my parents to take me there after school, and begged even more for new books. But it seems like my favorite local bookstores have been replaced with the ubiquitous chains. I find it's almost impossible to find anything that's not just the same popular stuff you see in every other bookstore.

Buying books online is so much cheaper, especially since I buy all of mine used. Buying used, from a seller as local as possible, makes me feel slightly better about the environmental ramifications of my book collection. Plus, the reviews are almost as much fun to read as the book. I don't feel too antsy waiting for the books, since I have a rather large queue of books to read anyway.
rainbells
The Great Gabsby

Unread post

Caseyjo, have you ever heard of Bas Bleu? It is a bookseller out of Atlanta. I don't know if they have a retail store there or if it's only an online and catalog business, but they have the most wonderful, offbeat, quirky, interesting books in the world. You can check them out online, but I like to get the catalog sent to my house, so I can take my time and mull things over.
caseyjo
The Great Gabsby

Unread post

rainbells wrote:Caseyjo, have you ever heard of Bas Bleu? It is a bookseller out of Atlanta. I don't know if they have a retail store there or if it's only an online and catalog business, but they have the most wonderful, offbeat, quirky, interesting books in the world. You can check them out online, but I like to get the catalog sent to my house, so I can take my time and mull things over.
Sounds awesome, I'll have to check that out!
wilde
Kindle Fanatic

Unread post

Cats AND books? haha sounds like my kind of place.

We don't have any local bookstores near hear. Well, there's one downtown that I know of. It's in the German Village and it used to be a house, but now it's a store. My friend says it's like going through a maze of books. :lol:

Shelfari!

Return to “Everything Else”